Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being exactly on the full line for 34,000 miles, suddenly my oil level is up to the "ball" 3-4 in. above where it should be. There is no fuel smell in the oil, any suggestions ??

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
InTentsDmax said:
After being exactly on the full line for 34,000 miles, suddenly my oil level is up to the "ball" 3-4 in. above where it should be. There is no fuel smell in the oil, any suggestions ??

Get an oil analysis kit ASAP and get it tested, I would also Not Drive it until you know what caused a 3-4 inch increase in oil level.

Hope it turns out to be nothing, but that is a lot of something that got in the crank case.

T
NY

·
Registered
540 Posts
What's the oil pressure look like??? Diesel in the oil should thin the oil and show as lower than normal oil pressure.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, it seems to be fine now. Used a tip from the "diesel p*g*" and made a dipstick from clear tubing, marked it to match orig. dipstick (length & notches) ,inserted it, capped the top with my finger causing the oil to stay in tube at its' level. Oil was right where it should be. Oh ya, my dipstick started showing normal too !! Was thinking about doing an oil analysis at the next change, guess I'll do it for sure !!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You have to watch for false readings just pulling the stick ..... Some oil gets trapped in the dipstick tube showing a higher then normal reading .....

I suggest pull, wipe, recheck for accuracy .... Must be nice haveing clear oil that it's difficult to see on the stick ..... Mine is plain as day being it looks like black tar .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mac,

If you'd change it more often than on your birthday you'd be amazed at how clean it would look!!!

Roberto here!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking at Mackin's sig I think he has a soot problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This weekend I learned that the dipstick is difficult to read. Just for kicks, I only installed the dipstick part-way and then pulled it back out. There was some oil on the ball and reading tip. I did it a couple of times to see the difference between just residue (non-continuity between marks and ligther) as opposed to a true reading (dark all over). Still, this seems like a poor design.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I followed a tip from TDP a year ago. I put the dipstick end in a vice horizontally and drilled a 3/32 size hole inside of each notch on the dipstick. Now when I check the oil I pull out the dipstick, clean it well, re-insert, and get an exact level on the stick. The holes are full below the oil level, clean above the oil level. Any false reading from oil in the tube is virtually eliminated. Works excellent!!!
SPICER

1 - 9 of 9 Posts