Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd bring this out as there were quite a few references to this in the Warantee thread.

I had oil leaking from a lower intercooler hose and took it to the dealer. The fix? All they did was tighten the hose.

When I asked the Service Manager about it, he agreed that it should've been inspected first. They looked at it and said there was about a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of the intercooler.

When I picked it up the Service Manager claimed that he had called GM and was told that this was normal.

Now I've noticed the hose that is by the turbo outlet seems to be collecting dirt as if it has been seeping oil vapor for awhile.

Is this truly normal? My experience is that oil in the intercooler means a bad bearing seal in the turbo.

The intercooler is an air-to-air heat exchanger and any oil in there is going to impede flow.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
there is a TSB to correct to oil drip problem. According to GM there will be some oil in the intercooler due to the PCV valve venting into the intake, BUT it SHOULD NOT leak out the lower hose. (hate cars that piss on the driveway!) Take it back and have them do the TSB, which IIRC involves a different sealant, a different clamp and maybe a new hose.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
All the LLYs do it, and GM doesn't really give a damn about it. I can't say that I like it, but it's also not enough oil to really matter, I think.

I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you guys tell me not to worry, then I won't worry.

It hasn't leaked since I took it to the dealer, so I guess I won't have nightmares about oil filling up the bottom of my intercooler...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mine does the samething :(
they did the tsb on mine at 4K miles. I now have 26K miles, hasn't even developed an oil film on the hose since they fixed it. take it in and have them fix it so it doesn't piss on your driveway!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just noticed mine doing it today. I'm going to take it to the dealer this morning on my way out for vacation. Probably won't have time to wait for them to fix it so will probably get it done when I get back.

I love the Diesel Place. There is so much great information here.:ro)

PS - 15K miles.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just noticed mine doing it today. I'm going to take it to the dealer this morning on my way out for vacation. Probably won't have time to wait for them to fix it so will probably get it done when I get back.
Screw that with simple hand tools you can fix it quick, I was going to pull my hose off and clean the oil in it and then tighten it, I couldnt get the hose to come off so I just tightened the piss outta that nut and it is good to go

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine hasn't done it YET, but the TSB for this is to removed the hose, clean it thoroughly, apply sealer to the hose, and tighten the clamp TIGHT. I work at a dealership & I have done a bunch of them. The oil in the hose is really nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
the TSB is only going to fix the oil leaking out of the connector sleeve and prevent the hose from popping off(which you can do yourself). This won't, however, fix the oil still going back through the intake and yes there is probably oil in the intercooler, no telling how much.

this is thanks to the PCV system. I plan on rerouting mine soon like others have.

I had it too---> http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=big&p=4669

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Imo it is something to worry about when it gets sucked into your turbo and the motor has to try to burn it.:(

·
Registered
840 Posts
The point of the PVC system is to vent crankcase gases/fumes back into intake tract so they can be burned in combustion cycle.Notice I said GASES/FUMES not OIL.
GM's fix is nothing more than trapping oil inside CAC as opposed to it leaking out when to much builds up in there.I dont know why GM went cheesediCk route on the PVC system and didnt put an oil seperator inline just like about every other car maker out there does.There setup defeats the purpose of the emission device

·
Registered
304 Posts
Had the same problem with mine... Dealer fixed it as per the TSB and Now I am good to go!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Doesn't this oil gunk up the cooler? Will it then have to be cleaned or replaced?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Noticed mine is leaking in the driveway again, guess its time to take it back to the dealer, I took it to them once, they said they could not find the leak, but it quit leaking for a while after I took it to them. My guess is they tightened the clamp and it stopped leaking for a while, now its leaking again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now. Told me it's road splash from underneath.-:t

Does anyone have the TSB #? I can't find it. Need to call him back to check it. I told him twice there is a TSB, but he isn't trying to find it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine started to show signs of leaking. Hopefully the completion of the PCV re route will take care of this annoying problem.:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts