Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 ext cab dually with a 131K on it. I had the injectors replaced at 98K, Rear main seal replaced at 110K. No aftermarket performance parts, all stock. This weekend it hit 15 below and for the first time it wouldn't start, has allways started before when this cold. I proceeded to get a jump start and it was cranking hard but eventually started. I left the truck running for about a 1/2 hour as we proceeded to load up snowmobiles. When I was ready to leave I noticed a 2 foot puddle of oil under the truck, coming out the right side of the tranny bellhousing. Looked to be the same as when my rear main started leaking at 110K. I decided to check the oil and head home. Upon getting on the Hwy. the truck had good oil pressure, 60 to 80, shortly down the road it started leaving beautiful clouds of smoke behind me. Watching the oil pressure gauge I decide to push to the next town. Upon reaching a service station I shut the engine down and when I pulled the dip stick it was pressurized and 3 quarts low in 20 miles. Most of the oil appeared to be going out the exhaust, with the rest coming from the rear main and a little that came out the blow by hose at the front of the motor. With the motor off it stopped leaking, but when restarted it started to leak at the rear main again. I previously replaced the rear main on the truck myself, but I am not to familiar with diesels, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot Mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
In very cold conditions, the crankcase ventilation system, whick vents to the atmosphere, has been known to freeze up, causing normal blow-by to pressurize the crankcase. I belive there was a TSB about it a long time back, so perhaps one of the techs will chime in here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks horse trainer, That is exactly what it was. It took awhile to get somebody at the dealer to cough it up, but they gave me a sheet on it, not exactly sure if it was a TSB or not. In extremely cold weather there is a junction box for the PCV located at the bottom of the alternator bracket. Condesation, ice and snow or whatever freezes up and the crank case pressure can't escape and starts blowing seals. Usually the rear main is the first to go, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, last year I replaced the rear main, and thinking back it was during a nasty stretch of cold weather! This time around it must have really froze up really solid because there was so much pressure it was blowing past the rings and coming out the exhaust. Well at least thats what the dealer told me? The sheet they gave me said to remove the alternator bracket and PCV cover and drill a 25/64 hole threw the back side of this junction box, higher than the outlet tube, so basically when it DOES freeze again, there will be another relief outlet. I am curious if many others have had this happen to them? It sure made one nasty mess of the underside of my truck, along with my trailor!! If this is such a problem, why would they not do a recall on it? People in the Northern part of Minnesota can see those kind of temps for a month straight some winters?

·
Registered
834 Posts
can this still happen if you plug in your truck at cold nites? Just a thought

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After fixing this stupid problem, I cleaned up the mess underneath and decided to drive it and see what happens. So far the rear main has not leaked yet, and after quite a few miles all the oil left in the exhaust system finally burned out and it is running good again. Because this junction box is on the outside of the engine block, plugging it in would not help prevent this from happening. I did consider finding some sort of heat tape and wrapping it around the vent tube and the junction box. Then hook it to a switch to turn on during cold weather, if I have this problem again, that is something I will look into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts