Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small amount of oil that has leaked out from between the aluminum nut and fan housing, don't know how this could be, was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Are you talking about the engine fan, right in front of where the belt rides? If you are, I believe that is from the fan Clutch. It is filled with some sort of silicon based fluid which egages the fan based on temp. I have "oil" seepage w/ dirt on mine as has been the case with other vehicles I've owned. I don't know if it is a bad sign but I have yet to own a vehicle equiped with the fan clutch that I haven't had to replace it at some point......Bill

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Are you talking about the engine fan, right in front of where the belt rides? If you are, I believe that is from the fan Clutch. It is filled with some sort of silicon based fluid which egages the fan based on temp. I have "oil" seepage w/ dirt on mine as has been the case with other vehicles I've owned. I don't know if it is a bad sign but I have yet to own a vehicle equiped with the fan clutch that I haven't had to replace it at some point......Bill
i think that he is right try to spin your fan when it is not running and it sould be easy and then go and drive your truck for a while then turn off the engine and try to spin the fan again and it should be harder to do if it is still easy you will be needing a new one

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the input, I thought thats what it was but never had it happen before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts