Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have beeen noticing some oil spots in my driveway lately and decided i should take a look. What i saw was oil around the top of the driver side shock tower
I have no idea where it is coming from. I checked the oil filter and tranny filter and both are ok. Any idea where this is coming from?

thanks-LtrainEdited by: Ltrain

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ltrain -

You may want to do a search to locate the same problem reported earlier by another member. IIRC, the end of the front diff vent tube is in that area and there could be oil coming from the vent tube opening. Is it possible that the front diff could be slightly over filled?
Edited by: Dura_Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure, i have never checked or added oil to the front diff, the part that gets me is that the power steering resevoir is above the area that shows oil, but i checked it and it has no leaks, i will just havew to call and make an appointment with the dealership.

·
Registered
537 Posts
<DIV>Check the power booster and master cylinder. I know first hand of one LLY truck having the power booster replaced at less than 1000 miles---bad seals. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The booster might look a different than what you expect being a hydraulic unit plumbed into the power steering and not the big round vacuum unit found on other vehicles. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Check the hard lines to and from the booster and power steering as well. The clearances are tight even "requiring" GM to put a protective rubber sleeve on some parts to prevent chafing. The bends could be better in my opinion. Really, such sloppy fitment is piss-poor, IMO. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Get out a flashlight and put your hands on the stuff and search for the leak. If it's high up like from the brake system more stuff might have a thin coating of fluid on it making it hard to discern where it's coming from....time to break out the degreaser and clean it up real nice--soap, water, a good rinse and dryin' and then start over and look. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>If the paint comes off the frame it's not gear oil nor engine oil.</DIV>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts