Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My Chevy Express is approaching 400,000 km and unfortunately it is starting to drip oil from the front and rear of the engine. I guess I'll have to replace the seals.
Therefore, I have some questions:
  • Is it possible to remove the harmonic balancer from the bottom of the car so as not to remove anything from the front ?
  • What do I need from tools except the harmonic balancer puller ?
  • how to replace the seal at the back of the engine ?
Any suggestions are welcome

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
Is your CDR connected correctly ( as in factory condition) or is it disconnected and venting to the ground/air?

"How to remove/Install HB and Pulley": New harmonic balancer installed today..
"Remove/Install Tools": changing water pump

Here are threads on the rear main seal job: Rear Main Seal

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure about the vans, but on my truck I just removed the belt, crank pulley/ballancer, fan, and the lower fan shroud. I replaced the front seal when I installed a new ballancer. it was easy to remove with a seal puller. Then I just tapped in the new one.

getting the ballancer back on can be tricky because most installers don't have the right part that threads into the crank. I just used the puller- I screwed the screw part into the crank snout (it had the perfect threads to do so- YMMV) and then used a socket wrench to turn the puller knuckle which pressed in the ballancer. I would change all of those parts (HB, crank pulley, and front seal) all at once. It all has to come off anyway.

The rear seal is a little harder. You have to pull the tranny, which isn't too bad if you have 2wd and a tranny jack. Then remove the flexplate. To remove the seal, I drilled a small sheet metal screw into it, and then hooked it with a claw hammer and pulled it out. To install, buy a can of your favorite beer or soda pop. Empty the can and cut a couple strips of metal out of the middle of the can. Lube the inside lip of the seal with engine assembly lube, and then fit it over the crank end using the strips of metal to make push the lip of the seal into place and keep it from folding over. Then I used a large punch and a rubber mallet to tap the seal in flush and straight.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I replaced my seals, and it still leaked. Replace your CDR with an AC Delco one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello

Thank you for your quick answers.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what CDR stands for.

So, according to your suggestions, I should replace the harmonic balancer, pulley and sealant right away. Best on ACDelco parts, so that the repair would work.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,875 Posts
CDR is the PCV in this truck.

If you look next to the turbo towards the firewall, there is a part that looks like a "tuna can" usually close to gold color hook up to the top of the turbo output to the air filter.

It reduce the pressure of the engine so the "blow-by" will be absorb by the turbo so oil will not be leaking from places that are not supposed to.
CDR is supposed to be a maintenance part.
No, you don't need an ACDelco for this particular one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok :)

Of course, I have such a golden tin with the sticker this side up. It is connected to the factory with a rubber tube.
Should I check something in it?

My turbo doesn't work. This is another thing to do in my Chevy

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
Ok :)

Of course, I have such a golden tin with the sticker this side up. It is connected to the factory with a rubber tube.
Should I check something in it?

My turbo doesn't work. This is another thing to do in my Chevy
Is your CDR tube connected to the intake to the Turbo?
Have you inspected your turbo impeller and housing around the impeller for any damage?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is your CDR tube connected to the intake to the Turbo?
Have you inspected your turbo impeller and housing around the impeller for any damage?
Yes, is connected, there is no damage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts