Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a new truck to me - 97 suburban 6.5
Oil leaks .... can someone tell me if the hose connection to the oil cooler is a flare or an o ring connection.
I have hose leakage at the cooler and would like to know b4 taking it apart what im dealing with.

Also, how long does your "wait to start engine" light stay on when you turn key on in 80 degree F weather?
From my vw diesel experiences ( I have a few of them) this time of year their glow plug light isnt on for even a second

In the sub - it was on for 10s of seconds. I saw that the GPC was not bolted tightly to its bracket and presuming it got its ground thru the bracket, tightened it up.
Now the "wait" light is on for about 4 or 5 seconds.
What is normal this time of year at 80 degree outdoor temps??

Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
Its a new truck to me - 97 suburban 6.5
Oil leaks .... can someone tell me if the hose connection to the oil cooler is a flare or an o ring connection.
I have hose leakage at the cooler and would like to know b4 taking it apart what im dealing with.

Also, how long does your "wait to start engine" light stay on when you turn key on in 80 degree F weather?
From my vw diesel experiences ( I have a few of them) this time of year their glow plug light isnt on for even a second

In the sub - it was on for 10s of seconds. I saw that the GPC was not bolted tightly to its bracket and presuming it got its ground thru the bracket, tightened it up.
Now the "wait" light is on for about 4 or 5 seconds.
What is normal this time of year at 80 degree outdoor temps??

Thanks!
The OEM oil cooler lines are known as a major issue. The line is crimped metal to rubber and will leak. They are also only held onto the engine block with a "C" clip and over time the clip will corrode or vibrate off. End result is a toasted motor.
It would be wise to upgrade those oil lines to stainless braided lines ( mod listed in the 6.5L FAQ page ).

Glow plugs are used with each start, regardless of temps. When the glow plug circuit is interrupted the ECM will go into glow plug relearn mode and you will briefly see the WTS light on the dash light up for 1-2 seconds ( for about 20 IGN key cycles) then it will go back to normal ( 5-10 seconds).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my question about the oil lines is specifically where the line meets the cooler.
The leakage appears to be either the cooler itself (at the fitting) or the line as it joins to the cooler.
Wanted to know if they are o-ring fittings or if they are flare fittings
thanks

·
Registered
1997 GMC K3500 dually 4L80 4x4
64 Posts
I just took out my oil cooler on saturday. They are o ring fittings. Mine is the HO version so it's 1 1/4 on the cooler and 1 1/8 on the lines. I'm replacing them with Leroys steel braided. Ordered this morning. Good luck.

Mac

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,442 Posts
Leroy diesel have a video showing how the current fitting looks like.
IIRC, he sells just the fitting or with the hose as a set.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pointer to Leroy Diesel - cooler lines (and other interesting and needed stuff on the way to me from him!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have seen a post on here somewhere where you can just cut the crimp off and put a hose clamp on it and that seems to work well. Haven't tried it myself but was going to do that for mine since its free to me and if it still leaks i was going to go with the kit from Leroy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The oil coolers on these engines are known for catastrophic failure resulting in equally catastrophic engine damage.

There are several aftermarket oil cooler options that arguably perform better and without a doubt have much more reliable connections (AN fittings).

I would strongly discourage anyone from using a hose clamp for the lines...they're just not rated for that use.

Your WTS light seems appropriate for the given temp. Does it have any problems starting?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts