Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i think the gauge is just jacked up.. it is way past 120 even with the truck off. it still fluctuates normally just way off scale.. im a tech so im guessing the gauge is just broke.. but want to check

·
Registered
535 Posts
All the dashboard gauges are actuated by the same stepper motor. Not the SAME same stepper motor, rather the same part number.
There is one stepper motor for each gauge.

These stepper motors have known "issues"..... they fail and display F#-ed up readings. I have this problem now with my speedometer and (occasionally) my tachometer.

I plan on ordering several stepper motors (search E-bay, ~$15 each) and replacing them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup it's the guage.. Mine did the same thing.. Actually it's the entire guage cluster. If you are good to the dealer, perhaps he'll replace it and have you only pay labor. Good Luck..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HBruns;1595418; said:
All the dashboard gauges are actuated by the same stepper motor. Not the SAME same stepper motor, rather the same part number.
There is one stepper motor for each gauge.

These stepper motors have known "issues"..... they fail and display F#-ed up readings. I have this problem now with my speedometer and (occasionally) my tachometer.

I plan on ordering several stepper motors (search E-bay, ~$15 each) and replacing them.
so if your handy you can take it apart and replace the motor?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, I don't really know. I do know that the new clusters have upgraded stepper motors so keep that in mind.. There is a link somewhere on this site that has a contact number or try www.mrwhizard.com. They will repair yours for $169 which includes shipping. Not a bad deal since the dealer will take upwards of $300 for a OEM cluster.. Hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts