Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
0W20 seems awful light for towing but with vehicles warranties being cancelled for smallest reasons, I’ll stick with the AC Delco for now. Amsoil has a two new oils for the 3.0. Listed as DexosD compatible but not Dexos licensed. 0W20 and 5W30. DP020 and DP530. I’ve always run Mobil 1 in everything since 2001 but the only Dexos D oil I can find is thru my dealer or DMAXStore.com. Amazon and eBay are out for me.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 3.0 Duramax
41 Posts
One would think that a 0W-30 or 40 during hot weather operations would not harm the engine but the one question I have is about the oil pump belt that is submerged in the oil. Are there any special friction modifiers or other additives in the DexosD spec?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
From dexos® Licensed brands | General Motors

Brand NameSupplierSpecificationViscosityLicense NumberRegion
ACDelco Light Duty DieselGeneral MotorsdexosD™0W-20DD0751IA015Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2ExxonMobil Oil Corp.dexosD™0W-20DD0752IA015Global

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone actually have the spec sheet for DexosD? I would be curious to see what is so special about it to warrant the cost, or is it just GM gouging. oil companies having to purchase a license to produce it?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't know the reason, but GM is currently selling 3 dmax engines.

2.8L 4 cyl
3.0L 6 cyl
6.6L 8 cyl

They recommend a different oil specification for each one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I run Penzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 (Dexos2) in both the 2.8L truck and 2.0L Cruze engines.
Wonder if the additive package would work in a pinch for the 3.0L other than the weight? The 0W-20 is for fuel efficiency as even the gas engines run that weight now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have done lots of research on this and I think I have closed the loop on this. The required oil for my 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 3.0 liter Diesel is DexosD 0W-20. So there are two oils currently listed by Dexos that are DexosD: AcDelco light duty diesel and Mobil Super 3000 XE2. The AcDelco is of course available from the dealer but as you have heard above, they are not always using the correct oil and/or it is on back stock. The Mobil Super 3000 seemed like the right choice, but I could only find it on ebay for $74/qt. I did stumble upon Mobil One ESP X2 mentioned in forums that was supposed to be DexrosD certified and I found it at SummitRacing.com for $10/qt. I went ahead and ordered some and inspected it once it arrived. Nowhere on the label does it mention it was DexrosD certified so I called Mobil One (never have before but highly recommend it, they are super helpful). Marcos (Mobil 1 CSR) explained to me that Super 3000 XE2 is only available in Canada, so that explains the rarity of finding it. He did confirm that ESP X2 (Mobil One Part # 125386) is the correct DexosD certified oil, but here is where it gets interesting. The oil I received from Summit and the one currently being sold from NAPA (yes I actually found some on a shelf locally) were labeled and branded as ESP X2 and were correct part numbers, but the branding label and color scheme (DexosD Certification) doesn't match what Mobil one has on their website. After sending pictures back and forth and confirming Part Numbers they discovered that what was being sold now was produced in 2017 in Louisiana specifically for high end European cars in the USA. Of course the oil is the same make up and it is truly DexosD Oil, but it was just bottled before DexoD certification was a thing. These come with Green caps, and the labels do not mention DexosD, the new ones are supposed to list DexosD and have orange in the branding color scheme. Both will have part # 125386 on the box of 6. These are only sold in quarts. To summarize, I was told by Mobil 1 that ESP X2 0w-20 Part # 125386 was the correct DexosD oil for my 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 3.0 Liter Diesel. Of course your Truck your liability, so feel free to call Mobil 1 at 1 800-662-4525. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed update. I just looked up the ESP X2 and Advance has it on their website (ofcourse no where in stock) but you can get it shipped for $12.99 a qt. They have a new part # though, 47114. And the label shows DexosD this time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok so we all know that the Dexos is just a way for GM to make money by selling liceincing to use the name, but honestly shouldn't they be advising us on what other oils we can use when it's almost impossible to find DexosD branded oils?

·
Administrator
22,014 Posts
Ok so we all know that the Dexos is just a way for GM to make money by selling liceincing to use the name, but honestly shouldn't they be advising us on what other oils we can use when it's almost impossible to find DexosD branded oils?
I would check the bobistheoilguy forum for the Dexos oil alternatives
(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
They should or at least an equivalent. They’ve done that with the filters since the PF66 has become a very rare item lately. They’ve created an approved list of aftermarket filters that will not void the warranty.

·
Administrator
22,014 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
See post #33 above (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am waiting to place an order for the 2022 3L Duramax.
Yesterday I was at Costco here in Alberta and noticed a box (2pack) of 0W-20 oil that was open so I pulled the jug out and it had the Dexos 2 symbol on it and showed approved. Check it out for yourself?:)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I am waiting to place an order for the 2022 3L Duramax.
Yesterday I was at Costco here in Alberta and noticed a box (2pack) of 0W-20 oil that was open so I pulled the jug out and it had the Dexos 2 symbol on it and showed approved. Check it out for yourself?:)
Dexos2 0w-20 is not the same as DexosD 0w-20

Dexos2 oils are used in the 2.8L duramax

The 6.6L uses CK-4 or CJ-4 15w-40.

Yupp, three different dmax diesels with
-- three different oil specifications recommendations
-- three different oil viscosity recommendations

Reactions: eddie046
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.