Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what oil is everyone going to use, I have 1400 miles plus on the truck, I normally change the oil on a new ride at 3000 miles. I see a lot of dexos 1 oils but generation 2. Let me know

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
According to the 3.0L supplemental manual, 0W-20 to the DexosD spec is what you're looking for.

Fwiw, it's not the same oil as used/recommended the 6.6L.

Currently there are only 2 oils that been approved:

ACDelco Light Duty Diesel General Motors dexosD™ 0W-20 DD0751IA015 Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2 ExxonMobil Oil Corp. dexosD™ 0W-20 DD0752IA015 Global

Link : dexos®

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered the dexos d and this is the reply that I Got

Hello and thank you for your order with GMPartsDirect.com.

Unfortunately the part you ordered is on a national back order at this time. GM has cancelled the order since there is no ETA available.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Eric
GMPartsDirect.com

Now what?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Exxon Mobil they told me Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 was DexosD approved. Cant find any auto parts stores that stock it. Called my local Exxon fuel depot and they ordered me 2 cases. My chevy dealer doesn’t even stock the Delco oil. I don’t know what they use for oil changes on the 3.0.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I called Exxon Mobil they told me Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w20 was DexosD approved. Cant find any auto parts stores that stock it. Called my local Exxon fuel depot and they ordered me 2 cases. My chevy dealer doesn’t even stock the Delco oil. I don’t know what they use for oil changes on the 3.0.
Ask the only one that knows -the last man on the totem pole - oil change guy.

Whatever is in the long oil hose going to his bay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got 14 quartz’s from the Chevy dealer, he told me it is unavailable from gm, he got it from a supplier paid 8.50 a quart

·
Registered
976 Posts
For this oil you can contact an ExxonMobil distributor. They will have it in stock. This would be a distributor that sells bulk and package lubricants. They supply the GM dealers and other industrial and commercial customers.

·
Registered
2020 Silverado Z71 Babymax
1 Posts
At 1279 took my new L2 in for it's first oil change figured anything needing to get out should be loose by now. After reading a post about making sure the dealer has the Dexos D
I looked up the part # of the oil. They put in. Lo and behold they put non diesel automotive oil in it. They wound up going to a dealer 30mi. away to get the 7 qts. needed for it. Service writer confirmed that Mobil makes their oil and they were having difficulty getting orders.

Amazon has it listed with 7qts. and filter for $80.75 and in stock

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have done lots of research on this and I think I have closed the loop on this. The required oil for my 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 3.0 liter Diesel is DexosD 0W-20. So there are two oils currently listed by Dexos that are DexosD: AcDelco light duty diesel and Mobil Super 3000 XE2. The AcDelco is of course available from the dealer but as you have heard above, they are not always using the correct oil and/or it is on back stock. The Mobil Super 3000 seemed like the right choice, but I could only find it on ebay for $74/qt. I did stumble upon Mobil One ESP X2 mentioned in forums that was supposed to be DexrosD certified and I found it at SummitRacing.com for $10/qt. I went ahead and ordered some and inspected it once it arrived. Nowhere on the label does it mention it was DexrosD certified so I called Mobil One (never have before but highly recommend it, they are super helpful). Marcos (Mobil 1 CSR) explained to me that Super 3000 XE2 is only available in Canada, so that explains the rarity of finding it. He did confirm that ESP X2 (Mobil One Part # 125386) is the correct DexosD certified oil, but here is where it gets interesting. The oil I received from Summit and the one currently being sold from NAPA (yes I actually found some on a shelf locally) were labeled and branded as ESP X2 and were correct part numbers, but the branding label and color scheme (DexosD Certification) doesn't match what Mobil one has on their website. After sending pictures back and forth and confirming Part Numbers they discovered that what was being sold now was produced in 2017 in Louisiana specifically for high end European cars in the USA. Of course the oil is the same make up and it is truly DexosD Oil, but it was just bottled before DexoD certification was a thing. These come with Green caps, and the labels do not mention DexosD, the new ones are supposed to list DexosD and have orange in the branding color scheme. Both will have part # 125386 on the box of 6. These are only sold in quarts. To summarize, I was told by Mobil 1 that ESP X2 0w-20 Part # 125386 was the correct DexosD oil for my 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 3.0 Liter Diesel. Of course your Truck your liability, so feel free to call Mobil 1 at 1 800-662-4525. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone look at the approved oils for different specs such as VW 509 (diesel) Or MB 229.71 since Mobil1 esp meets the spec? I think the engine is so new the other manufacturers are not up to speed. If this is the case, there are many options from Motul, Pentosin, Total, and others that have produced diesel oil in for years.
This is the Mobil 1 ESP approved spec
GM dexosD Licensed
MB-Approval 229.71
Porsche C20
STJLR.03.5006
STJLR.51.5122
VW 508 00
VW 509 00

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

dexos 1 gen 2
Licensed dexos®D brands

Brand NameSupplierSpecificationViscosityLicense NumberRegion
ACDelco Light Duty DieselGeneral MotorsdexosD™0W-20DD0751IA015Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2ExxonMobil Oil Corp.dexosD™0W-20DD0752IA015Global

They have the same license number.

(My dealer says mobil is the current supplier for all GM engine oils)

If you look at the pages for Dexos1Gen3 (the gas engine oil) and Dexos2 (the diesel oil for 2.8L dmax) there are many licences.

The Dexos2 and DexosD oils are NOT recommended for the 6.6L dmax.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,587 Posts
Hey guys.Long time member here but I’m just wondering why you can’t use good old rotella T6 5W40 or rotella T6 5W30 multi vehicle oil in this new 3.0 duramax engine?The rotella is low ash so I just wanted to comment.Thanks

·
Administrator
19,702 Posts
Hey guys.Long time member here but I’m just wondering why you can’t use good old rotella T6 5W40 or rotella T6 5W30 multi vehicle oil in this new 3.0 duramax engine?The rotella is low ash so I just wanted to comment.Thanks

Dexos is supposed to have different properties for smaller turbo engines, with higher change intervals ( up to 15,000 miles), holds up to combustion and heat better

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
If you get the 2021 diesel supplements for the canyon/colorado 2.8, the half ton 3.0 and the HD 6.6 you will find that each one has a different oil spec recommendation.

Must be a reason.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,587 Posts
Thanks guys.Seems as though engine oils and manufacturer recommendations are getting more confusing as the years go by.I pretty much put rotella t6 in everything I own including a 08 Benz bluetec and 13 Passat which are long out of warranty but seem to do well on rotella.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts