Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic will probably bring up a heated debate but............... I just have to know.

What oil is everyone running in the 6.5's? I was using Delvac 15/40 and switched to Rotella 5/40 syn. Is it safe to use the Rotella 5/40 syn. in a place like Florida year round?

Am I a fool from switching from regular to syn.?

I have heard good things about the Delo 15/40 as well.

Curious.... Thanks,

AJEdited by: pinehead

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I use the rotella synthetic 15/40 in all trucks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quantum Mechanic,

What was the mileage on the oldest truck when you switched to synthetic? Did any leaks appear? I've heard that this can happen, but don't know how often or how true this is>

Do you use synthetics in the transmissions and differential cases?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The '93 had 150,000 when I switched to synthetic. the '94 had 40,000 on a new block and the '96 had 180,000. and yes, I switched the tranny fluid and gear and manual tranny fluid. In the long run it's cheap insurance. The only oil leaks I've noticed were on the valve covers and I put in fresh gaskets to stop the flow.

·
Registered
584 Posts
why not use 5W-40W syn in Florida it has the ratings you need. it's better oil than 15W-40W regular Rotella considered a very good Diesel oil by many. I run it year around in just about everything on the farm except A/C tractor.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
15W-40, 10W-40 or 5W-40 is all I would use in the 6.5. As far as switching to synthetic at high miles, I have done it with 235K on the clock. Synthetics do not cause leaks but if you have weeper it will be a leak. Fix all leaks before switching. If you did not use and engine flush be sure to change the filter early a couple of times. Synthetics do a great job at cleaning things up.

Greg

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Synthetic oil is to petroleum oil, what Biofuels are to petroleum fuels.

Petroleum is by definition petrafied, or devoid of life (oxygen), and full of microbes that are breaking it down and creating sulphur compounds, and water. Synthic oils are vegtable oils that have been chemically treated for removal of glycerine, and blended to achive the needed viscosity and generally sulpher less. Since GM engineered the 6.5 to burn its' oil vapors, it's also considerably healthier to the public at large to use bio oils/biofuels. My way of thinking is to incorporate as much bio oil/ biofuels as possible into the operation of any and all machines I maintain or use, for the health and well being of everyone.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quantum;

I understand what your saying however; I believe the Rotella Synthetic is type III base stock which is petro based not Bio based. There I go I have avoided the type III vs type IV stock argument, but I am not sure the idea you have is valid with Rotella Syn. What I am sure of that it's better oil than their 15-40w.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I might have to pay twice the price and go for the royal purple instead, as I'm pretty sure they don't use petroleum. I was asuming the rotella was biobased but I can be wrong.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would run as far away from the royal purple crap as you can. i used to stock it here at the shop, because the previous owner did. that is until his new trucks running it in everything started dropping like flies. rear ends, P/s pumps and gearboxes, engine, tranny. You name it. seen some independent test work on it and decided then and there to never sell, install or recommend it again.

this is my personal opinion only, and experience with it. i know all the racers around here use it, but they also change it all the time. I prefer plain old dinosaur oil, change it every 3500miles and go down the road, cheap, and known for quality. the royal purple is a very small operation in size compared to others in the industry, and from what i understand can have problems of quality and blends from one batch to the next.

brian.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the input!!

I will stick with the Rotella 5/40 syn. I comes from stocks that appear to be better than the Delvac 15/40 and Delo 15/40 I was using.

Funny thing is.......... Before the head gasket blew......... The engine seemed to use less oil with the Rotella 5/40 syn. than with Delvac 15/40?....A thicker oil? Less oil meaning about a 1/2 a quart in 3,000 miles or less. It did not use any with the Rotella syn.

However I find it interesting that the truck made it 176,000 miles with almost no problems with the Delvac........... Within 5,000 miles of switching to Rotella syn. I have a major failure????

AJEdited by: pinehead

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a friend who worked for a subcontractor who ran the dyno cells for the big three in Detroit. He said that there was a lubrication group who's job it was to test oil. Basically they ran an engine at full throttle for a week then tore the engine down and measured it.

He said without question the best was Mobil 1. I don't know what impact diesel service would have on those findings.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I talked it over with a biofuels consultant and The name synthetic is sapposed to denote that a product is not petroleum based. If rotella is Petroleum based,well what the hey, I ment for the best.

bobt250,

Consider the source.

·
Registered
398 Posts
QM,

I don't know what you mean. You saying that GM, Ford and Chrysler have a financial interest in Mobil 1 ??

I once read that synthetic oil is petroleum, just that it was highly refined and "sorted" by molecule size for uniformity. Everything I've ever read about vegetable based oils.....affectionately referred to as "bean oil" is that it is vastly inferior to modern dino oils.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The only difference between dino oil and bio oil is a few billion years in an air deprived enviroment. Same molocules starting out. Another difference is you can injest a bio oil and call it nutrient, but dino oil is as dead as the dead sea. another difference is I can produce bio oils on my land and OIL companies drill wells.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts