Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got soem ??? i run a wix 57202 filter my main problem is the by-pas vavle and it is not a full flow setup:eek:: with it set at 15psi the only time the vlv is shut is when my oil is hot (180-200*) and im under 15psi and that is only at idle any other time it is unfiltered:eek:

this is the stock filter
Part Number:57202
UPC Number:765809572027
Principal Application:Chev-GMC w/ 6.6L Duramax Diesel (01-07)
Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:Lube
Type:Full Flow
Media:Paper
Height:5.216
Outer Diameter Top:3.690
Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed
Thread Size:13/16-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:15 <--------this my problem here
Anti-Drain Back Valve:Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI:335
Max Flow Rate:9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:8

this the one of something similar that i would like this
and mated to a perma cool 6630 that has 3/4npt in/out and a 1 1/2- 12 thread
Part Number:51970XE
UPC Number:765809529700
Principal Application:Glass Media Version of 51970
Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:Lube
Type:Full Flow
Media:Paper
Height:9.748
Outer Diameter Top:4.661
Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed
Thread Size:1 1/2-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:None
Beta Ratio:2/20=3/10
Burst Pressure-PSI:250
Max Flow Rate:28-30 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:5

any opinions?????????? max a bypas filtering setup very reasaonable

·
Registered
334 Posts
not a problem for the WIx filter.. the internal filter by-pass valve kicks in when the pressure difference across the filter exceeds 15 psi ... i.e. when the oil is very cold and/or the filter is plugged... it insures that there is always oil flowing... there is also a bypass valve in the filter head/cooler assy

For the second filter you mentioned you would have to rely on the filter head internal bypass for protection .. ?? personally I would not be comfortable with that .. why not just use the AMSOIL (donaldson) full flow filter?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
The by-pass valve is a pressure differential as in when there is a 15psi drop across the filter element, not when it sees 15psi. After the media gets used and begins to clog and there is a 15psi differential between the input and output pressures then it will bypass.

Does your bypass set-up have that much restriction on the downstream side to create the differential at the filter?

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have not done the setup. yet.

i do like the idea of a full flow vs a bypas flow.. maybe i need to log down stream of the filter as well and see what it is doing to get the pressure differintal

·
Registered
490 Posts
Problem with a "Full Flow" is that if it gets plugged, then you loose oil pressure. I had this happen on a JD tractor when I switched it to Amsoil 15W40 syn oil and one of their filters. Filter plugged in 15 hours and oil light came on. A new John Deere oil filter cured the problem. Engine had been run on JD's oil for 15 years before switching to the Amsoil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts