Diesel Place banner

OIL Filter Question

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Diesel Dragon 
#1 ·
I changed my oil the other day and as usual I went to prefill the oil filter, as I poured oil down the center hole it filled up until it overfilled the center hole and spilled over to the smaller holes, which are actually the "intake" or dirty side inlet holes.

Usually when I do this the oil will also seep into the outside holes and then I would let it settle for a minute and then add more oil till it's fully saturated.

But this time none of the oil would drain down the smaller "inlet" holes, it just sat there. I don't know what would keep the oil from flowing down those holes, maybe a anti-drain back valve ?

The filter is a Baldwin B1441 and I have used many of them before with no problems pre-filling them or any other filter for that matter.
This happened to be my last oil filter in the garage so I had no choice but to put it on the truck.

Now I don't know if I'm paranoid or just to picky but my oil pressure seems to be about 5 lbs higher than normal at 2,000 rpm's when fully warmed up, and about 5-7 lbs or so Lower at idle than normal.

Is it possible that the oil filter is bad and no oil is flowing thru it ? :confused:

Would a blocked filter cause a change in my oil pressure ? :confused:

Has anyone else prefilled there filter and Not had oil go down the "inlet" holes ? :confused:

Maybe I should just get another filter and change it anyway.

DD

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea, but if all of your other filters behaved differently, it might be wise to replace it just to be sure there is no problem with the filter media.

TC

#3 ·
The wacky oil pressure is your ESCALADE cluster!):h

But in all seriousness I think I rememebr reading about that oil filters have little valves in them and stuff...one of the reason Fram filters are garbage is they use cardboard for these valves...im almost positive I rememeber readin htat. Maybe that filter you used had a problem with that valve, as you said could be a cause? Thats all I can think of...

Ive never pre-filled my oil filter cause I didnt think it would work.:confused: How do you pre fill the oil filter and then put it on sideways on the engine? Doesnt it all spill out in the process? hmm

Ben

#4 ·
You can pre-fill it ben, you just have to move quick to get it on before you dump the oil on yourself.
Fram's anti-drainback is rubber, where a premium filter will use a synthetic anti-drainback valve (actually looks like a large rubber washer)
DD - as I recall, I've done a few oil changes and have "spillled over" to the small holes on the filter..seems to me, the oil didn't drain into the filter and I had to wipe it out.
If you're not sure though, put a new filter on it...peace of mind is worth the 10 bucks :)

#6 ·
Well I bought another Baldwin filter and tried to fill it through the smaller holes but it wouldn't. I guess it's something new since I never remember it happening before.

I'm going to send Baldwin an e-mail for the hell of it and see what they say.

Ben if you fill the filter with oil and let it soak in to the filter media and then top it off once more the level will drop so you can screw it on with out spilling any oil out. And then at start up it will build oil pressure that much quicker.

Thx for the reply's

DD

#7 ·
The AC-Delco filter also will not pass oil through the small holes unless under pressure.Thats how the anti-drain back feature works.

#8 ·
DD,
I've always seen 5 psi changes from 1 filter to the next. I've used B1441's since new. The filter I have on now shows about 65 psi @ 1800 and about 25-28 @ idle. using Delvac 5W-40 synth.

I'd just be guessing but, I would imagine that Baldwin has beefed up the anti-drain back a little bit causing oil to not be able to flow back through the holes.

#9 ·
The anti-drain back valve sounds like it is the cause, but like I said I just never noticed it before this oil change on a oil filter of any type.

Thx for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.