Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God my head is spinning. I just read the oil forum.
-->http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=22;hardset=1000;start_point=70

I was all ready to get the amsoil synthetic and amsoil dual bypass filter. Then this oil forum said the dual filter drops oil pressure and was poorly designed.

The next thing I read was that amsoil is using mobil base stock and delvac1 is a better oil.

I have learned a lot about oil/filters/fuel etc but come away not knowing what to buy. (I have to buy something dont I?) So the nictane kit will be here tommorrow. I am pretty sure that was a good choice.

But what synthetic do I use Amsoil or Delvac1? What oil filter is best/safe/no issues (like dropping oil pressure) but better then OEM?

And is it OK to run 5-40 delvac1 all year long here in so cal? I go to the sierras during the winter camping. It got to 4F the first night with my new truck (no additives and 15-40 delo) it barely started and smoked like crazy.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
490 Posts
Amsoil is cheaper than Delvac 1, BUT Amsoil only comes in 5W30, and 15W40. Delvac 1 is 5W40.

You could also go to a bypass filter setup, which retains the OEM filter. The bypass would tap off of a port near the OEM filter and return to the engine via a special drain plug in the oil pan or a modified oil filler neck on the top of the engine.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Problemchild,
Sounds like you are doing your homework. There are many opinions on oil and filters for the Dmax. FWIW, here is my $.02.

Filters:
When I purchased my truck in Oct 03 I sent emails to AC Delco, Baldwin, Wix and AMSOIL requesting filter % efficiency ratings in microns for their DMAX OIL filters. All responded except AMSOIL. Here are the numbers I was quoted.
AC DELCO PF2232: 25 microns nominal, 40 microns absolute (Beta numbers not stated)

WIX 57202 13 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 37 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

Baldwin B1441: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75)

AMSOIL SDF-52: No response - May be identical to B1441 since Baldwin is OEM for AMSOIL

So far the Baldwin B1441 has the best rating. I buy them from Westfleet

Oil:
For all weather (extreme hot and cold) operation, a 5w40 CH-4/CI-4 synthetic is the way to go and (IMHO) Delvac-1 (a group IV base oil) is the best and most expensive. The lowest cost 5w40 CH-4/CI-4 diesel oil that I'm aware of is Shell Rotella (a group III base oil) synthetic at Wal-Mart. There are some other good choices. (Also, regarding startup smoke in cold temps, have you tried plugging in the block heater?)

Oil Bypass Filter:
I have an OilGuard which I chose because I wanted to continue to run the OE full flow filter. See OilGuard Bypass Filter Installation

Hope this helps...

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems good. I see the military uses it. It has good oil test results. What kind of pressure do those oil hoses run? How long did it take to install? Do I need any special tools?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Be aware that the Amsoil group IV synthetic diesel oil (series 3000 I think) is not API certified for the specification required by GM for our engines. There is an emblem on the bottle that resembles the API certification starburst and a claim to exceed CH-4/CI-4 specs, but it is not certified as such. Other Amsoil motor oils are certified as required. Regardless of which one you choose you will be fine to run it year round. I use Delvac 1 and have been happy with how it has lowered my cold start pressure, and I haven't had any engine tick with it yet.

As for cold starting, I don't have any more trouble with my Dmax then I would expect from a gasser. In fact it's better than the gasser that it replaced. It runs rough for a few seconds after it fires up at temps below zero, but nothing problematic. Just make sure that you watch the little coil light on the dash until it turns off. I count about 12 seconds on a really cold start. Some people will let it cycle twice in severe conditions but I haven't tried that yet. Poor cetane number could contribute to hard starts also. I deal with diesel engines all the time at work, and my Dmax starts cold better than any of them.

Bypass filters are nice but may be a bit of a waste if you intend to change frequently anyway. If you spring for one it would probably be worthwhile to have analysis done to determine how long you can safely stretch the interval. Wait until you have a few thousand miles on it before you add the oil which you sample. Otherwise wear metals will show higher than normal for a broken-in engine. --SS

·
Registered
663 Posts
problemchild said:
What kind of pressure do those oil hoses run? How long did it take to install? Do I need any special tools?
Problemchild,

Click here for details of the OilGuard install…

Regarding pressures, the OilGuard kit came with Weatherhead H10104 ¼ ID low- pressure hose, which is rated at 350-psi working, and 1400 psi burst (min). The fittings supplied are brass barbed push-ons with #4 JIC swivels. These hoses are more than adequate for the Duramax pressures. I used the supplied hoses to determine lengths, then had a set of Weatherhead H243 stainless steel braided teflon (air brake) hoses fabricated at a local hose shop. The H243 hose is rated at 3000psi. I went with the SS for added longevity and abrasion resistance. A bypass filter only makes sense if you plan to keep the truck a long time…

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
jbplock,

How much are the Baldwins? Do you buy them by the case?

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Great install job on your oil gard kit jbplock. It just looks it would be cumbersome when it comes time for an oil change. Could a fella make a manifold that screws into the drain plug hole, then screw in the return line and Fumotto valve?

·
Registered
663 Posts
NoWake200 said:
jbplock,

How much are the Baldwins? Do you buy them by the case?
NoWake,

Yes, I bought a case of 12 for about 5.50 each plus shipping (which was also reasonable). To order you have to call their 800 number (last time I checked they didn't have online ordering for the B1441's)

SaguaroKid said:
Great install job on your oil gard kit jbplock. It just looks it would be cumbersome when it comes time for an oil change. Could a fella make a manifold that screws into the drain plug hole, then screw in the return line and Fumotto valve?
SaguaroKid,
Thanks for the compliment… Oil changes are a bit slow through the oil pan return adapter. I've been draining oil through the JIC fitting but the 1/8 NPT plug opposite the JIC would be faster. I've hesitated using the plug because I was worried that over time the tapered fitting would leak. A custom adapter that allowed use of a Fumoto valve would be ideal. Coincidentally I recently received an email from Mark at OilGuard that said they are working on an oil pan adapter with a built-in Fumoto-like drain valve. If you have access to a machine shop it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a manifold as you describe. You would just have to be careful to make the adapter shallow such that it doesn't protrude to far from the pan.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought the oilguard kit today. I will put it on this weekend.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's a good deal on the baldwin Filters. I bought a case and you can oder the B1441's online. www.adiesel.com

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is some additional information for you to consider from Fleetguard. They are a division of Cummin's (you know... those "other" guys
) but have heard good things about thier filters. I sent an e-mail to them regarding filter specs for the Duramax and this is what the reply was:

+++++++++ <snip> ++++++++++++++

12/16/2003

We have attached the performance specifications for our new LF16102 below. If we can be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact your Fleetguard Customer Assistance Center @ 800-223-4583.

Please visit our homepage often at http://www.fleetguard.com

Sincerely,

Fleetguard FleetMaster

+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
! PRODUCT INFORMATION Page :1 /2 !
! !
! Date :16-DEC-2003 !
! Part No : LF1610200 !
! FULL PIDR0008 !
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
DEFINITION AND MAIN DIMENSIONS
Part Type LUBE FILTER
Configuration SPIN-ON
Flow Directio OUTSIDE/IN
Part Function FULL FLOW

DOME OUTSIDE DIAMETER 3.67 in
GASKET INSIDE DIAMETER 3.12 in
GASKET OUTSIDE DIAMETER 3.49 in
GASKET PROJECTION RETAINER .06 in
GASKET PROJECTION SEAM .09 in
GASKET TO 1ST THREAD .18 in
<FONT face="Courie

·
Registered
663 Posts
BKG,

Thanks for posting. The fleetguard looks like another good choice for the Dmax. Fleetguard makes excellent high quality filters and the data they sent you is the most complete I have seen posted for any filter.

However, the Baldwin B1441 (for the Dmax) does have a higher filter efficiency spec: 8 micron nominal (50%, Beta =2) and 23 micron absolute (98.7%, Beta = 75) ... Not by much though...

(also see FILTER PERFORMANCE AND MICRON RATINGS for info on beta ratings

·
Registered
91 Posts
jpblock - I agree, the Baldwin looks better, assuming we are all testing by the same specs. I will probably use the Baldwin - the truck only has about 1800 miles on it so I will wait for another 1200 prior to its first change.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
91 Posts
BTW - Found a pretty good price on Delvac 1 today from a Mobil distributor in Inidana - $74.99/case (out the door at that!) has anyone found cheaper? I bought two cases and gave one to my dad for his D/A.

·
Registered
663 Posts
BKG-22 said:
..Found a pretty good price on Delvac 1 today from a Mobil distributor in Inidana - $74.99/case ...

That’s a great price!
I checked around upstate NY and the Mobil Distributors here quoted me $25/gal + tax
. The best local deal I found was 19.52/gal +8.25% tax for 5w40 CAT DEO synthetic (Delvac-1 with a CAT label). I just bought 2 cases of D-1 from AV lube for less than the CAT, even with the shipping. Avlube also has a deal on a case of D-1 that includes an oil analysis kit.
Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow - if that is the case, maybe I should go buy a couple more cases?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts