Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do first oil change. After I drain the pan, how much oil can I expect to have drain from the filter? Since it's mounted horizontally, logic would say "Not much." But then again.........
. And should it be warm or cold to drain effectively?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Not much
I never measured it but It can't be more then a few ounces.
It will drain better warm.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I change hot. Also change the oil filter last, after punching a hole in the lowest part of the filter and letting it drain. Also have a FUMUTO valve on hand to replace the oil plug the next time I change oil. This will allow puttting a 1/2" hose on the valve and draining into container without getting oil done my arm or all over the driveway. After the filter has drained thru the hole I punched in it, I slip a plastic bag over the filter to catch most of the drips when the filter is screwed off the post. Duramax filters sometimes are real tought to get off, use a good replacement filter. Baldwin, Wix or NAPA Gold are good. There are others to .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bill, I like your idea about punching the hole in the filter. I always manage to make a mess no matter how careful I am. I use a 5 gal spackle bucket for the filter and the oil. Even with a hole that big I still miss

I run the engine before to get all the crud in the oil pan back into suspension.

I'm due for an oil change but waiting for the Fumoto valve to come in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered the Fumoto today. Will hold off until that gets here. Appreciate the tips. Make life easier (and I need a lot of that!)

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts