Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing my pitman and idler arms as well as my centerlink and I see that the oil filled shock that also mounts to the centerlink is leaking oil...really bad. I dont know if I screwed it up or if it was just getting bad.
I suppose it needs replaced? Do they go out like this often? Any venders here offer one?

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's the steering stabilizer. You should be able to get one at your local parts store or one of the supporting vendors. Just make sure the oil is coming from the stabilizer and not somewhere else. If you take one end loose and the piston moves in and out very easily its shot. The aftermarket units are probably better than the factory units.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure its shot. Thats how I think I finished it off. When I got the centerlink off I pulled the shock ram in and out pretty darn easy. Let it sit on the floor overnight and I came back and there was oil all over the floor under it.
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Steering Stabilizer

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see the post until tonight.

Stock steering stabilizers don't last too long if you go off road any or have upgraded your tires. I haven't checked the one on my DMAX yet, but I suspect it will get replaced when I buy new rubber. I have a 1981 Toyota 4X4 pickup, and the stocker only lasted about 4 months. I replaced with a Rancho, that lasted for about 22 years, but when I upsized from TSL 34-9.00-15 SuperSwamper to 36-11.50-15 swampers the front end was vibrating to much for me to drive it and stay between the ditches. It turned out to be the Rancho steering stabilizer. After 22 years, it deserved retirement. I replaced it with a Rough Country that I had acquired years ago, but never had installed. The new steering stabilizer got everything back to normal. Well more or less: I need a little more lift to get the lugs out of the steering arm on hard left hand turns. As it is, it sure hurts the turning radius in the woods.

1981 Toyota 4X4 SR5 short bed regular cab, 208,000 miles, 36-11.50-15 TSL SuperSwampers, KYB Gas-a-just shocks, Downey 2.5"/1.5" lift springs front/rear, homemade boat rack, Ramsey REP 6000 electric winch, Ivy Redding front winch bumper and grille gaurd, homemade rear bumper, faded tan paint, a few dents, lots of rust.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Just mine is shot too. I have seen that oil crap also.

Are OEM replacement ones easy to put back in or go with something aftermarket? See my truck specs below.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its pretty easy. You'll have to take the skid plate off is all. One bolt is right on the frame easy to get to and the one on the drag link isnt that bad either. The shock will move however you want it to.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Fabtech has a heavy duty replacement if you want to check them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts