Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

When my oil level is a tad low, I like to top it off. I generally add bits at a time, knowing that it's easier to add more than drain some out if I add too much (don't have the fumoto valve yet!).

This being the case, I'm curious if anyone knows how much (in quarts) oil is required to bring the level from the "low" mark to the "high" mark. I've never experimented and took note.

Thanks,

Terel

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Terel, I've found that the notches are about one pint each. I normally carry a gallon jug of oil with me and I have a one quart valved funnel that is graduated. When I get a notch low (usually only happens on a long run or trailer pull) I fill the funnel half full (one pint) and that's usually equivalent to one notch on the dipstick.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Terel, I've found that the notches are about one pint each. I normally carry a gallon jug of oil with me and I have a one quart valved funnel that is graduated. When I get a notch low (usually only happens on a long run or trailer pull) I fill the funnel half full (one pint) and that's usually equivalent to one notch on the dipstick.

Thanks. This is good information. The "dipstick" SM in my stealer's service department didn't have that information.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idle_Chatter,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Very helpful.

Where did you get your one-quart valved funnel?

~Terel

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Bought it at an auto parts store - Auto Zone or Pep Boys, I think. It's a combo translucent white funnel with handle, has a snap-on lid. the valve assembly has a 3/8" barb on it and came with about 8" of clear tubing attached. It's a 1/2 turn on-off valve assembly. The on-off valve can be unscrewed from the funnel and screwed onto large-mouth plastic oil bottles - great for adding lube to the differentials and ATF to the trans. I think it was in the $6 to 8 range.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Chatter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts