Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a very "oily topic", but anyway...

I've heard people running AMSOIL and other syn brands for thousands of miles on end, and has not changed the crankcase oil in say 25000 miles. Whats the purpose in it? its not that big of an issue to change oil anymore is it? about $40 and 1/2 hour a couple times a year? I just have not gotten the concept i guess, and do not trust any brand oil for more than 7500 maybe 10,000 miles top. I'm not comfortable with the fact of having oil in there that long in such a high tech and expensive truck/engine. I dont think GM would like it either trying to warrenty a truck thats only had 3 oil changes its whole life!.
i'm not trying to offend the people that do this, its thier right, just would like some insight on your purpose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Weve all been brainwashed by the boys who sell oil for their livihood. The more you adhere to the 3000 mile ghange interval the more they rake in. Go to a good synthetic. YOU can do 10000- no problem

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Weve all been brainwashed by the boys who sell oil for their livihood. The more you adhere to the 3000 mile ghange interval the more they rake in. Go to a good synthetic. YOU can do 10000- no problem
I agree with you taz, about not having to change oil every 3,000 miles, but I don't think synthetic is worth the extra cost unless you live in extremely cold climates. The reason you change any oil is because it gets dirty.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Many of those using these trucks put 10,000 miles/month on them. With long run intervals, 500 miles per startup, a well filtered synthetic will be fine after 10,000 miles, probably 20,000. It's the additives that eventually deplete. At a minimum, change the filter now and then.

3000 mile oil changes are a ridiculous waste, for moste of us. The exception is the errand vehicle that put's on 5000 miles per year, and runs 10 miles per startup. Frequent cold shutdowns kill oil quality, moisture/sludge buidup.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I agree with you taz, about not having to change oil every 3,000 miles, but I don't think synthetic is worth the extra cost unless you live in extremely cold climates. The reason you change any oil is because it gets dirty.
I totally agree with synthetic use for cold winter start-ups.
But don't forget, excessive heat also drastically affects oil life and performance.
Been lot's of talk here about the LLY's overheating, and it's not just the coolant getting hot!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Some of us go to the Amsoil with the dual filter by-pass due to hauling. Got my 06 in Nov, & already have over 23,000 miles. Oil changes can come as often as every 2 to 3 weeks depending on trips. I use it for convenience, only have to change one filter ( per Manufacturer mileage & add what ya lost). Then only have to do a complete change every 60,000. Have used it this way on 2 engines with over 200,000 on each. IT WORKS!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use amsoil and change my oil and oil filter every 5k-7k miles

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Oil & Filter every 5,000 miles with AC 2232 and 15w40 Rotella for me. 30,000 miles per year. I feel comfortable with that interval because it works out with tire rotate evey other time and lube as well as fuel filter on opposite times.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The reason you change any oil is because it gets dirty.
Exactly! The synthetic oil will be fine after 10 or 20 or 30K miles, but it will be dirty. Especially in a diesel. I personally would change the filter every 5-10k miles with a synthetic.

I don't use synthetic in my truck. Just CC (or higher) motor oil. Then again, it's no Duramax.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I have used synthetic oil since 1978. Back then, I had a K-10 (Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4) with the 350 gas engine. In 1978, GM had trouble with their camshafts. Four friends of mine had their cams go bad at 10 to 12K miles. Mine lasted until 32K. (my first reason for liking synthetic - better lube properties.) When I replaced the cam, I noticed there was not a spec of dirt or sludge in the engine. (my second reason for liking synthetics - cleaner with no sludge.)

I have removed valve covers from my engines with over 100K - still no sludge. My current driver, a 2000 ZR2 S-10 has 117K on it. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs like it did when it was new. And I'll be the first to admit, I'm not easy with it.

If you don't plan on keeping a vehicle, then by all means, use dino oil. On the other hand, if you plan on driving it for life, synthetic is cheaper in the long run.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts