Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better oil cooler out there for a 05 dmax that is betteer than the stock one or do you think the stock one is just fine..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The stock one is in the block, it is cooled by the engine coolant. I dont know of any product to replace it, you could add to it by adding supplemental cooling by adding an external cooler and a exit and return system at the oil filter location.

You didnt state what you are attempting to do, however several of us have found a way to make the stock cooler work better.

My stock cooler now works better than it did when I had a supplemental oil cooler added to the system.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what way did you do this. I'm just like to lower the temp down a little thats all thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I installed a second radiator (Rad Mod Version II(V2)) under the existing stack. It adds the cooling capacity the stock setup lacked. The factory engine oil cooler is the first stop of the coolant after the water pump, it is very good at controlling oil temps when the coolant temps are in check. I dont know about a little my oil temps fell over 75* with the V2, with the fluidyne I dropped oil temps ~ 55*, however the effect on coolant was minimal at best. I had a sandwich adapter at the oil filter and almost 9 feet of oil line to the extra cooler, it also didnt fit so well, honestly I didnt get the results I was hoping for, so I didnt bother doing a better job with placement.

What is nice about the V2, is there is minimal extra plumbing and the existing thermostats control the coolant, so I do not have to worry about overcooling. I did add a blocker (in front of the 2nd rad.) in the coldest months to help warm the truck a little faster.

I have other mods, Stack sealed, larger exhaust, CAI, etc. Nothing did as much for the truck's capability to tow without worry than the extra radiator.

To answer your original question the stock unit is fine, when the coolant is in check.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wasn't the band one (KB)'s an external oil cooler, as I recall he had one that mounted in the lower portion of the bumper, was suspose to cure OHers.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
river&sand;2001078; said:
was suspose to.
Key words there:D

Actually, Big Black 05 has a winch mounted in the same space as the v2 or other thing would go, so he's in a bit of a delima.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Michael (Killerbee) is still selling his oil cooler kit and it's an excellent unit. Go to yahoo and do a search on "TD-EOC" and you will find it. It is a big NASCAR type cooler and it fits nicely in the lower bumper valence. It removes a tremendous amount of heat from the system. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Rttoys;2001085; said:
Key words there:D

Actually, Big Black 05 has a winch mounted in the same space as the v2 or other thing would go, so he's in a bit of a delima.
Big Black, sorry I missed the fact that you were the one with the winch.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
bas4241;2002868; said:
Michael (Killerbee) is still selling his oil cooler kit and it's an excellent unit. Go to yahoo and do a search on "TD-EOC" and you will find it. It is a big NASCAR type cooler and it fits nicely in the lower bumper valence. It removes a tremendous amount of heat from the system. :)
Too bad we don't run 200 mph to gt the airflow needed for a NASCAR cooler. :D

The word "tremendous" is a relative term, to an ant a crumb is a tremendous amount of food, to you and me its nothing. Likewise to the LLY Duramax the "tremendous oil cooler" is nothing against the heat produced and sent into the coolant. Even lightweight (9k) smaller trailers (11 foot tall) in California overwhelm it and go into the 240's within 4 miles of taking on a real grade. This we know for sure. Insult to injury the oil pressure is no better than a V2 truck, perhaps worse even.

He does not push it as an overheat cure anymore. If so I know a few people that want refunds......

·
Registered
577 Posts
TxChristopher;2003164; said:
Likewise to the LLY Duramax the "tremendous oil cooler" is nothing against the heat produced and sent into the coolant
I wouldn't charactorize the TD-EOC as nothing...

Regardless if it will or will not prevent an LLY from over heating under any conditions, the TD-EOC removes engine heat and reduces the heat load on the cooling system. :)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
stevebos;2003347; said:

Regardless if it will or will not prevent an LLY from over heating under any conditions, the TD-EOC removes engine heat and reduces the heat load on the cooling system. :)
Well hell, if we are limiting conditions then STOCK LLY's don't overheat either. Turning off the A/C or letting up on the throtle removes a "tremendous" amount of heat, and both are free, no need to add any exspensive parts, eh? :)

Darnit, that defeats the purpose of an exspensive tow monster that the truck is supposed to be. Oh well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
TxChristopher;2003466; said:
...LLY's don't overheat...
There's something amuck with my keyboard... Sorry, just playin! :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The killerflea oil cooler helps but will not prevent overheating. I drove 3000 miles with it and got hot 10+(246 degrees+) times towing 8900 pounds on my way to South Dakota.

·
Registered
252 Posts
TxChristopher;2003164; said:
Too bad we don't run 200 mph to gt the airflow needed for a NASCAR cooler. :D

The word "tremendous" is a relative term, to an ant a crumb is a tremendous amount of food, to you and me its nothing. Likewise to the LLY Duramax the "tremendous oil cooler" is nothing against the heat produced and sent into the coolant. Even lightweight (9k) smaller trailers (11 foot tall) in California overwhelm it and go into the 240's within 4 miles of taking on a real grade. This we know for sure. Insult to injury the oil pressure is no better than a V2 truck, perhaps worse even.

He does not push it as an overheat cure anymore. If so I know a few people that want refunds......
Please quit bashing other forum contributors and possible solutions and stick to your own solution. It's not professional or respectful.
The man just asked a very simple question.

·
Registered
252 Posts
stevebos;2003347; said:

I agree.
And in addition to that, an improved Mike L. '06 transmission oil cooler added to it, increases the cooling effect by reducing more heat load on the cooling system.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Ranch55;2005840; said:
Please quit bashing other forum contributors and possible solutions and stick to your own solution. It's not professional or respectful.
The man just asked a very simple question.
Your "contributor" is banned and its not a possible solution, we already know it doesn't work. Its not professional or respectful for you to attempt to lure in other suckers to get that thing when it does not solve the issue.

Yes, he asked a simple question. I replied with facts. Sorry if the truth hurts your wittle feewings. :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
The original question was about OIL COOLERS for our trucks. I can't believe the inappropriate attacks every time an oil cooler is mentioned, especially when KB cannot defend himself on the board.

The TD-EOC is the best oil cooler I know of that is available for our trucks and many that are running it are extremely satisfied. It is a quality unit and does an excellent job of what it is designed to do (cool the oil) and many claim that it has solved their overheating problem. In any case, it does remove a very large amount of heat from the system and gets the oil down into a good temperature range.

Also, I believe he optimized the design for about 40+ mph iirc.

Such blatant and inappropriate attacks when the question was specifically about oil coolers does not become us. :cool:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
bas4241;2008186; said:
The original question was about OIL COOLERS for our trucks. I can't believe the inappropriate attacks every time an oil cooler is mentioned, especially when KB cannot defend himself on the board.

The TD-EOC is the best oil cooler I know of that is available for our trucks and many that are running it are extremely satisfied. It is a quality unit and does an excellent job of what it is designed to do (cool the oil) and many claim that it has solved their overheating problem. In any case, it does remove a very large amount of heat from the system and gets the oil down into a good temperature range.

Also, I believe he optimized the design for about 40+ mph iirc.

Such blatant and inappropriate attacks when the question was specifically about oil coolers does not become us. :cool:

He sold it as overheat protection!! It does not prevent an overheat. I know I had one and got rid of it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Added cooler under the truck

Big Black, I looked under my truck and there is enough room to install a significant cooler, installing one there with some decent fans may just do what you where asking. The location does minimize the length of oil lines. I would install a "road debris deflecter" of some sort to keep road debris from being picked up into your cooler.

How effective will it be?? I suspect the cfm of the fan(s) will be the biggest factor. From the start I dont believe that it will be as effective as anything on the front of the truck, however it also isnt going to affect any portion of the front of the truck.

If I were to take on this type of project, I would make sure that I had a good CAI kit that isolated under hood air from the air box. I would also think about sealing the stack. There was someone around here that had an air dam that could be added to under your truck to help the existing stack work a little better also, that piece may or may not be available any longer.

With a multi step approach, you may get enough improvement to solve your issues. I dont know how far from your goal the stock truck is, so you will have to decide.

Good luck and keep us informed if you do this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts