Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so for years now ive been meaning to get around to this so here we go.
i purchased the oil cooler lines on quadstar, i ordered the 3/8 cooler side and 3/8 blockside. i messed up i have a 3/8" fitting on the cooler side and 1/2" on the block side. so to help anyone else from making this mistake here are a few guide lines.
1- if the hex fitting on the oil cooler itself fits a 1" wrench u have the 3/8 fitting.
2- if the block side need a 1" wrench u have the 1/2" block fitting.
if im wrong on this and the 3/8 block size is the same size wrench im sorry, but it would only make sense that a smaller fitting would have a smaller hex nut on it.
if u need to purchase fitting u can here. awesome place quick shipping and has just about anything u need at a good price. Fittings

so u wanted to i believe u could just get the fittings u need to adapt over to push lok and buy 3/8 pushlok hose from here https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/53662482?fromRR=Y

the only question this leaves if u wanted to do this on ur own is the proper fitting to the oil cooler. ive read that its either 10an or 12an. i cant find the one that comes in the quad star kit but i read that someone used 10an or 12an fittings. u could save a few bucks going this route at im looking at about 100 or so in parts. this is a much cheaper option and if u have a buddy with a hydraulic shop u may be able to get this even cheaper. if anyone has more info or would like to add to this please do.

homemade list.
pushlok 3/8 hose by 10feet long give u two 5 footers
block side- 2x 3/8 or 1/2npt to 6an male 90
pushlok adapters- 2x 6an female to 3/8 pushlok straight
oil cooler side?????

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,829 Posts
Does not mean to criticize.

Are those air hose (in the link) can withstand oil? and hot oil temperature?
Oil may have higher temperature than 212F.

Reactions: nyvenom30

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not mean to criticize.

Are those air hose (in the link) can withstand oil? and hot oil temperature?
Oil may have higher temperature than 212F.
im sorry and no worries this is about get the correct info to people who need it. i thought that was a link to the parker 836 sereis hose. https://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/push-lok-plus-high-temperature-multipurpose-hose-836/836-6-blu
Air) 212 °F
(Air) 100 °C
(Water) 185 °F
(Water) 85 °C
(Oil) 302 °F
(Oil) 150 °C

400 psig
only question remains can u adapt to 10an or 12an for the cooler for a homemade set up. were pretty close now. lol. also u can use this for the fuel lines if u choose just push on and done.

Now my real point on this post was that if you had messed up and ordered the 3/8 cooler by 3/8 block kit from leroys or quadstar, end up needing the 1/2" block fitting. lowes sells a 3/8 by 1/2 reducing bushing in brass, if u need it on the now. i was able to get the fitting in and screw in the elbow put a little black rtv on the threads, i had to drop out the oil filter adapter so i could screw in the elbow. i was trying to do this with removing as little as possible. if u can wait the link i posted for fittings above should do the trick. 2x 6an male by 1/2 npt male 90 elbow. 7.90 a piece and black anodized.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found this so i think its doable. u need a 12an male i guess for the 3/8 cooler and maybe a 14an for the 1/2" cooler?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres a nice break down of the job itself. fyi removing the clips that hold the hose fitting on can suck to do id clean up the area as best u can before starting. i wish i had. grab some harborfreight wrenches to cut down will make your life much easier.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
crowfoot wrenches are also handy

Reactions: nyvenom30

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just if anyone was wondering the brass fittings are holding up find so far. I really wish I had just taken the old lines out first before ordering the kit. I guess in the future ill grabb the HO cooler if needed. I doubt its necessarily to upgrade but maybe others could say otherwise.

Reactions: JMJNet
1 - 7 of 7 Posts