Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody is monitoring this? Sometime back, posted on other forums, people were concerned about oil consumption. Some folks said it is quite common and to be expected.

Is this common?

I ask this as I just changed my oil last night and I have NOT (to date at 75K miles) used any oil. I put in 10 qts, I drive hard for 10K miles, I drain out 10qts. When I change my filter at 3K or so miles (I change filters 3 times in a 10K oil change) I always prefill oil filter and do not have to add. Sometimes if a bit more drains out other than filter amount, I will add a smidge or so to make up for that loss. but I never have checked my oil and found it low. Just curious what you guys are finding. I have a friend out here that is using about a qt or so every 5k miles and I think that is excessive. He asked me and I told him what I have experienced. Thought I would ask this question here.

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
I put 58k on the '02. I ran Rosemella and changed oil/filter every 5k. Never burned a drop that could be measured on the dip stick. The '04 is too new to tell yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
33,000 and have not used a drop. Change oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I use about a quart every 7500 miles (delvac 1)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wickedsprint,

I agree. We definitely broke our trucks in differently. He did the 7500 miles around town and back and forth to work. I hooked an 11Klb trailer to mine at around 800 miles and hit the road and never looked back(I did the 800mi only to break in gear set and change fluids) I switched to Redline Synthetic motor oil at 5K mi although most people said to wait to 12-15K before doing so. I never understood that rationale, but so be it. i think back in early '01 when people like me were getting trucks there was some uncertainty about the truck and what GM had done. I even fell into the Grape juice synthetic gear lube deal and paid the big bank for it. But after 25K miles I dumped it and switched to Redline gear lube and it has been fine. I still only use the Allison synthetic tranny fluid as I have an Allison dealer 15 minutes from me and they admittingly are very picky about trans fluid.

It is an interesting question for sure. I read quite a few forums and believe that solid consistent maintenance is a good thing and will probably yield owners good results. For the owners that do not, well they may have failures. But the same applies with the Ford and Dodge owners. I know a few that have had many failures for various reasons for lack of maintenance. I can say that owning a diesel powered vehicle is really only for a special type of person. It is quite a different beast with it's own set of special needs. This is my first Diesel powered truck and is much different than my 2 previous Gas powered Chevrolet K3500's. But I can honestly say, it is the best I have ever owned... BY FAR

Best Regards

·
Registered
962 Posts
I took it pretty easy on the truck for the 1st 200 miles or so, did one full bore run through the gears at about 250, then at 400 did a few now I drive it pretty hard, and like you I am not using a drop of oil, heck it still looks clean after a few weeks, the ford would turn it black within 5 minutes. Also did an oil change at about 1100 miles to get the breakin oil out of the truck. I bet the ones that use oil are the ones that were chipped or hotrodded from day one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got 24000 on mine. Changed the oil at 500 miles, then 1000 miles and at 5k, 10k, etc since then.

Use Rotella T.

No oil consumed between changes.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
NONE on the 2001 with 75000miles

NONE on the 2003 with 13000miles

I change oil at about 5k but I do go over..sometimes upwards of 7-8k.

·
Registered
444 Posts
1 qt every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did not have a chip at all on the '02. On my 'o4 I would like to get one but I wont even think about it untill at least 10k. It took all of that for my '02 to get run in.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have not used oil until my last change... i was two quarts low after 5000 miles using rotella 15-40..... Seems odd since i never see smoke, well unless I give'er in level 4
i had some real long trips on that change...... Has not used any since from the looks of the dip stick......

·
Registered
322 Posts
'02 with 41K miles here ... switched to Delvac 1 at 500 miles and have changed it per the oil life monitor since. No measureable oil consumption.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Initially, I didn't think I was using any oil. However, at my last oil change I wasn't able to completely fill up the empty oil jugs with used oil. I think I had used somewhere between 1 to 1.5 quarts in 5k miles. I did spill a little and I'm sure there was a little left in the filter, but I'm pretty sure I used some.

My concern is that I've never owned a vehicle that used oil before - unless it was visually leaking out the seals. When spending that much on a truck, I didn't expect it to use any! I'm going to keep a much closer eye on the dispstick level (relatively speaking) now as I may not have measured it very well during the last change.

I did notice more of a smell after the most recent change than after previous changes. It seems to me that if I can smell the oil (see related post), then some of it has to be evaporating! I check the filter and under the hood with no visible signs of leakage. Edited by: tundracamper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts