Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Classic 2500hd durmax/allison 29000 miles

This is my first diesel so please be gentle. I bought it 1 year ago give or take a couple days. I read all the manuals and think I've done everything right, including having the dealer service it as required.

According the manual, the engine let's you know when it's time to change the oil. I pussed out at 7500 and had them change it the first time before the system notified me. My dealer said I went to long and should have done it sooner. That annoyed me, so I waited on the second change until the system notified me it was time for a change.

It's been over 10000 miles and the system hasn't notified me yet but yesterday it complained that the oil level was low. I checked it and it was fine. I found on warm starts it did idicate low oil leve, but on cold starts it did. I checked it several times.

Lacking confidence I took it to my dealer this afternoon, who first told me it was nothing and to come back next week, but after I insisted on having them check it, told me I was 3 quarts low.

Either I don't know how to check oil or something funny is going on here.

They added oil and and it seems fine, but I havn't done a cold start yet.

My dealer also thought it was odd that it was low on oil. Does this engine typically burn oil (note that is has been 10000 miles since the last change)?

All comments welcome (including mockery for not know how to read a dipstick or going 10000 miles without changing oil).

BTW I bought it so I could carry heavy steel loads 3000 lbs or so a couple times a week.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
They will burn some during break in.3 quarts seems a bit excessive over 7500 mi. though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gm trys to endorse the oil life monitor, but I will not. Even any customers that I talk to at the dealer, I will not agree to it. To me it is better safe then sorry to change it every 5000km. The biggest thing you have to ask yourself is how you do you want your engine to last. As long as it lasts the engine warranty time that is all the general cares.

·
Registered
189 Posts
First of all, the duramax dipstick sucks. It is hard to read.
My 01 duramax would flash the check oil light once in a while on cold starts, but if you watch the pressure gage the light would go out as soon as the pressure came up. The 01 never used a drop of oil and so far the lbz dont use any oil. I try to change oil every 100 hours.

·
Registered
891 Posts
3 qts over 10 000 miles seems like alot to me. I change my oil every 6000 km (approx. 55 % oil life left). So far my truck hasn't used enough to be noticeable on the dipstick. I usually check my oil after the truck has been sitting for atleast 12 hours or so.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I don't like the dipstick either; it is hard to read accurately. Seems like because the ridges are spaced so close together that capillary action pulls the oil in between them.
Using oil is not common, and 3 quarts sounds a bit high. But refer to statement #1 above. The dipstick is not easy to read.

I change my oil every 5K, and I am the only one that has ever changed the oil in my truck. Anal I know, but at least it's done the way I want it. Next time, I suggest changing it yourself, putting in 10 quarts and looking to see where that puts the level on the dipstick. That way you will know for sure when or if the oil level drops from where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I let the dealer do the 1st oil change at 3k miles and I have been changing it myself since. I do it every 7500-9000 miles and it doesn't use any oil. I have sent my oil out for analysis and it comes back clean and they say it could even go longer. I think anything short of 7500 is a waste of money.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I let the dealer do the 1st oil change at 3k miles and I have been changing it myself since. I do it every 7500-9000 miles and it doesn't use any oil. I have sent my oil out for analysis and it comes back clean and they say it could even go longer. I think anything short of 7500 is a waste of money.
I did my first at 2,500 just to get the break in junk out of the crank case, installed the oil guard system and now go 8,000-9,000 miles between changes.
I agree with you. Anything sooner than 7,500 miles is recreational oil changing especially if you run a secondary filtration system. Oil is the life blood af any engine but changing it too soon is a waste of money and good oil. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
303 Posts
The longer the oil is in the engine it will get dirty and dirty oil will burn faster than clean oil. Isn't a little bit of the oil used to lube the injectors?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I can't find the thread that I read this on, but somewhere on the forum someone stated that GM says that 1 quart every 2000 miles is normal. I find this hard to believe! I searched for an hour, and I can't find the thread. Someone will chime in. I have burned about a quart in the summer when towing heavy during a routine check. That was after about 5000 miles, and just before an oil change.

I found the thread:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201861

·
Registered
923 Posts
I use Amsoil heavy duty marine grade and EoA52 filter. I am the only one who has ever changed the oil. I do it at 10,000 miles and I have never noted my oil level being lower than it was when I put it in, meaning it burns or loses no oil. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've noticed a number of posts refering to oil life percentage. I don't have the steering wheel DIC contols. Is there a way to show this?

I agree with most of you who change oil 5K to 7.5K which is what I do in my cars (using full synthetic oil) as it is better to error on the side of too soon rather than too late. I just wasn't sure if this engine was different because of the amount of oil it contains.

I have been unable to find the recomended oil (15-40 ci/cj4) in a full synthetic. Any recommendations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this post:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189063

which lists a bulletin with what is considered acceptable oil usage - 1 quart per 100 gallons of fuel. I drive pretty fast, and often carry heavy loads (3,000 lbs in the bed).

So in 10,000 miles I could reasonably have burned 6 quarts of oil (assuming 15 MPG)???

I better keep a closer eye on the oil level.

·
Registered
2006 gmc 3500
28 Posts
They say ever 3000 mile lt will burn one quart of engine oil .l do my ever 5000 miles and fuel fliter ever 10,000 miles but at work we change the oil ever 10.000 miles thats with 43 quarts of engine oil or 300 hours what ever come first

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go to search and type in oil usage . Than go about 5 post down and that should help you out. There is different recomendatios there.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Last oil change I burned 3 quarts of Valvoline premium blue at 7500 miles on the oil.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last oil change I burned 3 quarts of Valvoline premium blue at 7500 miles on the oil.
Just curious . Have you always used the Valvoline premium

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Since 2500 miles. I'm at 19,500 now.

I also used it in my 04.5 LLY.
Dang, Nick your about to pass me up on mileage. Hunting seasons over so mine will only be getting about 400 miles a month from now on.

As far as oil usage when mine had about 3,000 miles on it I took it out west on a trip and run it hard. It used about 1 quart in about 3 to 4 thousand miles. Since then it appears that it stays near the full mark for 5,000 miles in between changes. I can't stand a vehicle (especially a gas motor)that requires oil to be added in between changes. I understand the diesel is a different animal and at some point its going to need some added.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I do drive alot...More than I thought I did...

I thought 3 quarts was excessive but the more reading I did, the more I started to realize that it was somewhat "normal"....I dont know how "normal" 3 quarts out of 10 is, but I guess I'm not alone.

I'm at 3000 miles currently on this oil after my last change that I did myself. I'll check it here one of these days when I get motivation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts