Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being my first diesel engine, I have some concerns over oil changes... frequency, grade of oil, additives. How different are the diesels to their gas counter parts? Should I change the oil more frequently? Less frequently? Synthetic? Blend? Additives like Marvels? What about an occassional gas additive to "clean things out"? The closest biodiesel reseller is 3 hours away, so I can't use that although I'd really like to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting. 100+ views and no one has anything to say about oil for diesels? I know I am an "other diesel", but I'd assume it's same-same for general stuff like oil.

·
Registered
255 Posts
For long life. use whatever high quality you can afford. Change the oil religiously.

Personal opionion here:

Delvac1 full synthetic oil, amsoil dual bypass filter system. Change both filters 10000 miles and oil whenever you feel most comfortable. Install additional pre-pump fuel filter prferebly 2-micron (there are several available. I went with amsoil/Dahl). Check other sections in this forum and you will find other options for both. I prefer full synthetic oils in all differential, tranny, engines.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rotella T for me. The big diesels use this one alot. Also a choice of mine would be Delvo by Chevron. These are not synthetic oils. I will change it at 5000 max because trips willbe in that neighborhood before I get home.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Ditto for me on the Rotella T. Every 5000 miles with an A/C Delco filter. Dmax love you long time soldier...

JP

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV (same thing) -- possibly the best oil you can buy and it is available at Walmart...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Michigana_Joe said:
Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV (same thing) -- possibly the best oil you can buy and it is available at Walmart...

yep on that one... now i just need to find a walmart near me that carries the new truck&suv mobil 1. even the stores around me have stopped stocking delvac1... :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get 15-40W Oil. Its smooth for those diesels. My dad is a Diesel Mechanic( Big semi Diesels) and I think they use 15-40W for those too. Will have to double check that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
El Hefe said:
Get 15-40W Oil. Its smooth for those diesels. My dad is a Diesel Mechanic( Big semi Diesels) and I think they use 15-40W for those too. Will have to double check that.

almost all OTR trucks use 15w40 engine oil, but when you are running 40+ liters in the sump, syhtnetic becomes expensive

·
Registered
216 Posts
15 - 40 for sure. I would definitley choose a good fuel additive or run premium. It will pay for itself in mpg alone plus keep build-up at a minimum. Brand of Oil? I would go with valvoline blue or chevron delo if you are going dyno 5-7.5k would be fine. If you choose to save money and time Go Schaeffers or mobil one extend drains to 15k easy. May want to consider oil analysis for the first 2-3 changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts