Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than go by millage, how many hours should you go between oil changes

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
OLM

I change them when it's convenient to me, but anywhere less than about 20% remaining on the OLM.

Sometimes it gets to 0%, but usually not.

Haven't compared that to hours recently, so don't recall the comparison, but I do recall that with the OLM method and the way I 'use' the trucks. the hours between changes are way less than the recommended hours change intervals on farm and construction machines. (at least the ones that use the newer grades of oil).

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
On my LBZ, which doesn't get over 6,000 miles a year, I change the oil every year to nearly 2 years. Whenever is convenient for me. And I run 100% synthetic and premium filters because of the long intervals. Others who have done long life oil analysis on these trucks say I could go even longer. That the oil still has plenty of life even after nearly 2 years. Most especially if it's 100% synthetic.

In a previous life, when this LBZ was my daily driver, I'd simply follow the truck's dash readout suggestion for oil changes. It'd be years if I did that now.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
For low milege users, GM recommends changing once per year.

From the 2018 Duramax supplement:

Engine Oil Change

When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message displays, have the
engine oil and filter changed within the next 1 000 km/600 mi.

If driven under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not
indicate the need for vehicle service for up to a year.

The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset.

Reactions: Mahi-Man

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you do not want to use miles, are you doing anything that would be considered heavy service such as extensive idling?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I change my oil & filter at 50% (I don't reset the oil monitor) and then to the dealer at 0%. (I have 6 free oil changes) Give me a reason the get under the vehicle and check things out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I change my oil & filter at 50% (I don't reset the oil monitor) and then to the dealer at 0%. (I have 6 free oil changes) Give me a reason the get under the vehicle and check things out.
Sounds like you should send away some oil samples. :)

Reactions: 64bawagon

·
Registered
664 Posts
When the oil life meter hits about 40%, I change it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you trying to extend it, or justify sooner?

When I got my 2006 LBZ I did them frequent. Eventually after a few oil sample tests, I learned to just trust the OLM. I would go close to the 10,000 miles. Traded it after 150,000 miles.

On my 2016 LMM, I just use the OLM which pretty much cam e out to spring and fall. I’d put 5w40 in the fall for Minnesota winters and 15w40 for summer.

On my L5P, I will pretty much follow the OLM. It’s barely 7500 miles with the dpf now anyways. I think it’s crazy to change 10 qts of full synthetic oil in a diesel at half that (3250 miles). Oil tests showed in the past that the base oil packages were more than sufficient for at least the OLM.

For really low mileage, I just do it annually like the manufacturers suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I change my oil every 8k miles, unless I've towing then its around 5-6k miles.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I changed my oil the other day and installed the 'new & improved' EZ Drain oil valve that was supposed to address the leaking at the oil pan mating part. It did not. Drained the new oil after about 7 miles of driving on it. It was black. Just surprised how quickly my oil turns black. Always has. Been running 100% synthetic for years. Premium filters too.

While I know it is normal for diesels to turn the oil black I just wanted to point out how fast that happens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Still curious why one would have the need to go by hours...?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Still curious why one would have the need to go by hours...?
If there was a lot of idling is the only reason I can think of. Like we do on heavy construction equipment.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
70 Posts
I forgot to look at my hours yesterday, I was going to although I'm not sure what I expect to see. I change it every 5K, which works out to be every three weeks give or take a few days, so it probably doesn't idle much. Generally, if it's running, it's rolling...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just trust the OLM, it pays attention to hours, miles, load, temperature and more. IMO if you are changing the oil before you hit zero on the OLM you are just throwing money away. The only time I change mine early is if I am leaving on a trip and it will hit zero during the trip as I don't want to be bothered with having to change oil while on the road.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Just trust the OLM, it pays attention to hours, miles, load, temperature and more. IMO if you are changing the oil before you hit zero on the OLM you are just throwing money away. The only time I change mine early is if I am leaving on a trip and it will hit zero during the trip as I don't want to be bothered with having to change oil while on the road.
Would you wait for the OLM to go to zero if it took over a year to do so? Just asking.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I keep hearing that the for the last few years OLM programming has been modified so that they will reach zero after one year even if the truck isn't driven.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
The manual says OLM or 1 year which ever comes first.
Sure. Was just asking.

I've searched on this topic many times over the years. Hardest part is getting data-backed info. Everybody has an opinion and there's no shortage of those on-line. It would seem to me the best answers are backed with hard data - oil analysis. I wished I had taken a sample this time. I recall Dnewton who used to come in here a lot posting about 25,000 mile intervals and I think analysis showed it go further. I can't recall much about "time on oil" though.

Anyhow, here's some data-backed oil life write ups if anybody is interested:

Note: I'm not telling anybody what they should or should not do with oil changes.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am pretty sure they updated the OLM TO ZERO AT 1 year. I didn’t drive much last year and it told me to change my oil after about 3000 miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts