Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read the "Care for new Duramax" where you suggest doing the first oil change at 3000 miles. I did that with mine. Now I've run another 5000 miles on it. What are you thinking the change interval should be after initially doing it at 3000 miles?

I do some trailering, a 5200 pound travel trailer from Lansing to West Michigan or Northern Michigan about every other weekend. Also I am currently running Shell Rotella T 15w40 in it right now.

At 8000 miles (oil change reset at 3000) the DIC is showing 52%. I've got a real problem going 10,000 miles on any oil, regular or synthetic. I had thought of doing 5000 mile changes, but there is nearly as much controversy on oils and changes as there is on fuel filtering.

I was also thinking about running synthetic Rotella synthetic 5w40 after seeing it at Walmart for just under $13 a gallon (especially for Michigan winters and then regular in the summer) but don't know if I want the added expense for synthetic or at what point the engine is broken in enough to want to use synthetic oil in it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric Larson

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Eric, I like the 5k rule myself. I have pushed mine to 10k on delvac, but didnt like waiting that long.... Some have reported going 20k on syn oil and just changing the filter at 10k... not me! I tend to think like you, I like the 5k change interval. You can go to synthetic at any time if you like, although some feel its better to wait until after the break in peroid, which could be 20k on these things

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quick question on oil changes.....how does one reset the oil service/reminder on the 2003 Durmax that does not have the redundant radio controls?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Turn the key on, mash the throttle to the floor 3 times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts