Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 03 Sierra Duramax and I am new to the diesel world. This is the first diesel truck I have ever own and want to change the oil since I am not sure when it was changed last. I have own several gas car and trucks, but my friend said that changing the oil in a diesel truck is different than a gas engine. He told me that I have to put oil in the filter first before I screw it on the engine. Is this true? Is the process for changing oil on a diesel engine any different than a gas engine? Also what oil do you guys recommend? How much oil does this engine take?

·
Registered
63 Posts
No different than a gas engine with the exception of 10 quarts vs 5. I use Rotella myself. Check around and you will find different people prefer different oils. Don't be intimidated because it is a diesel. They are very simplistic in nature. Everyone on this board will help with all questions.;)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Some just put oil in the filter to prime it, keeps the oil from having to fill filter first then go to the engine, it cuts down on how long the oil gets to the crank and you will see a difference in the pressure gauge.

I always fill the filter first, it does not cost you any time or money, and it gives me piece of mind that my engine gets the oil quicker.

Like stated above, 10 quarts total, and the truck will tell you when to change the oil, do you have the buttons on the steering wheel? If not, just turn the key on, do not start, and press the accelerator pedal up to 5 times real fast, it will show oil change rest where the milage shows.

If you have the buttons, use then to reset it.

Good luck and Welcome to the site

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rotella or Mobil Delvac are the most popular and easily obtainable oils. If your picky about filters, Baldwin's are among the best made and are priced decent (~$8 each). Other than the type of oil and amount, there's no difference between these engines and a gas motor. You should always fill the filter with oil before hand, no matter what type of engine it is. It's just a bit more important on these since the filter is fairly large and takes a a while to fill up.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've never prefilled an oil filter. On the LB7, the damn filter is horizontal anyways. Never had a problem with low pressure on the next startup or anything. I don't GUN it the first time, either.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Diesels are easier to change the oil in for fat guys, since you can fit under them!:D

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Moved to maintenance

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If been driving and racing V8 Buick's for 31 years and all their big and small blocks oil filters are horizontal and if you're good (like me) I only loose a few drops, and I always fill the filter first. Its nothing to it.:p:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would be the best weight oil for a truck that is driven in SF bay area, why a few trip to Tahoe during the winter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts