Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I take my 03 CC Duramax to the dealer for the first oil change? The dealership I got it from gives the first oil change free only problem is I have to drive 100 miles roundtrip to get it done. Im almost leaning to doing it myself Ill be doing the rest anyway after this first one and I found a local truck place that carries the Baldwin oilfilters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for reminding me that there are still places in the US where one can drive without tripping over a dealership every 7 miles.

It all comes down to what your time is worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well unfornatunely Id probably pass 3 or 4 on the way up there I even have on 3 or 4 miles from me but I wouldnt take anything there or by anything from them. I just cant make up my mind whether its worth it to drive an hour each way for a free oil change. And I think im beginning to talk myself out of it now I'll probably just do it myself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do it yourself, but before you do, order a Fumoto valve so that you can do it the next time (when it's not free) much easier.

Fumoto Valves

Get the one with a nipple. I slip a piece of hose over the end of mine and drain the oil right straight into the one gallon containers from which it came (after using an old 1 gallon milk jug for the first one). Neat, slick, don't spill a drop.

Takes 10 quarts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I took mine in to my dealer & had them do it for the first time, but I took my fumoto valve with me. Of course I've known the service guy for years, and he just took my valve, looked at me, grinned, and said "well I don't suppose we'll be changing your oil after this one..."

Mostly, I did it just to have it on record of them doing the first change. Plus it was free.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Okay to change oil yourself, but maintain a written record and keep your purchase receipts for oil and filter. Don't forget to lub abd keep a record of that to or get someone else to lub it . Some of those lub fittings are not in [plain view so count them. I think there is 11 of them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I faced the same situation, and chose to do it myself. So, I got me a Fumoto valve, ten quarts of Delo, an AC Delco PF2232, and went to work. Nothing to it..Just like any other oil change. Cool thing will be the future changes, now that I have the Fumoto installed !!
Edited by: BamaFan

·
Registered
164 Posts
gwmayes said:
Do it yourself, but before you do, order a Fumoto valve so that you can do it the next time (when it's not free) much easier.

Fumoto Valves

Get the one with a nipple. I slip a piece of hose over the end of mine and drain the oil right straight into the one gallon containers from which it came (after using an old 1 gallon milk jug for the first one). Neat, slick, don't spill a drop.

Takes 10 quarts.

Just picked up my 2500HD Duramax - which Fumoto valve would I get for this truck? There were a few different types on the website.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I have the dealer change mine........

One...I am in and out in 20-30 minutes.

Two....I have positive documentation by doing it this way.....in case of warranty claims

Three...what am I gonna do with 10 quarts of sooty diesel oil....?

Four.... I can't be bothered.....

Others may disagree.........to each thier own.

T
NY

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I will not change my own oil either. I take mine to dealer to get it done. Besides, then I do not have to get on the ground and get all dirty then haul off all that oil.

·
Registered
473 Posts
inte, Follow the Fumoto links and it shows you what valve to order for the Duramax. You can also get the nipple there.

Fumoto ValvesEdited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
299 Posts
I paid my dealer $400. They service my truck every 3000 for as long as own the truck, also get a free wash and free rent car when needed in that package.
Scott

·
Registered
625 Posts
I take all my goods, ( oil, filters etc ) into the dealer and have them use my stuff.

1- I get quality stuff at internet prices
2- They can't use dealer mark-up on me
3- The record that hey did the work is worth it's weight in gold, I've been through an Auto Manufactures deposition , trust me I know.
4- The clean up alone is miserable doing it your self, even if you drip a little on the drive it's mother to clean up, also you have to clean up the " hose" from the nipple before you put it away, and just cleaning that is work.
Price, this will blow you away. With all my stuff brought in the dealer charges me $15.00 NOT A TYPO Fifteen dollars to do the work.
They take the $29.00 oil change subtract all their goods, 5 quarts of oil ( for cars) and 1 filter, and come up with just labor of $15.00

There is no way in the world for $15.00 I'm going to crawl under
a truck, fight with a stubborn filter, rack my knuckles, and take the time to clean up my mess for $15.00- my time is far more valuable than that.
And as far as the argument about morons, who don’t speak English doing the work on my truck, I have the dealer to blame on any screw ups, but when I do it, I can only blame myself.

Edited by: Kendall69

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just did my first change last night at 850miles. Ac/delco oil filter $3.59, 3 gallons of mobil 1300, $6.99 per gallon. I had her jacked up with wheels off to install mudflaps and had the oil and filter on hand and figured what the heck--even shot a little grease in all 11 fittings! Even got the original filter off (it was tight) with a filter wrench I had not used in 15 years--last car I owned that had a filter this big was a '79 trans am with the 400 pontiac motor! Time spent under new truck checking things out--priceless! Don't really see need for a fumoto valve--only takes a second to remove the plug and let her flow!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wickedfn4u, If I could get away with it I would

Also what I find i s that by " frequenting" the dealer albeit for the lousy $15.00, I get face time with the service writer, and usually is the same person each time " assigned to my truck".
With that face time I get to know the person, ( my guy likes to do that Civil war thing - reenactments).
What I end up getting is better service than if I did it myself an if there are sketchy warranty issues they usually push it through or make the "rare" exception", and he makes me aware of any TSB that I might no be aware of etc.

Granted there is pleasure in doing it yourself and being one with your rig also.

Edited by: Kendall69

1 - 17 of 17 Posts