Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing is I tried to put this in do it yourself but it wouldn't let me post. Now my question. When changing your oil is there any advantage to placing your truck on ramps to get more oil out due to the position of the drain plug? It would certainly give me a needed advantage to move around under there. Any disadvanteges to doing this? Any opinions on this matter?

Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ramps will be just fine. I don't think that you would get much more oil out because of the angle, just make sure you have enough to fill it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Easy alternative to ramps are a couple of short 6" or 8" timber blocks. Just use four wheel drive and ease up on the blocks — truck will crawl right up on them. Very stable (put emergency brake on, of course).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've gone ramps............and no ramps. I figure that I get about 1 extra cup of old oil out using ramps (at the most). If you like the extra room, then go for it, but I don't think it makes much difference in the amount of oil that drains out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I use ramps... it just makes it easier to get underneath the truck.

I know of no metal ramps that will do the job. I bent up one set a few years ago. Now I use the Blitz Rhino Ramps - they work great and are rated for a much higher load (12,000lbs) than metal ramps of comparable cost.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I need to buy ramps for the new Yukon we bought. It actually sits a little higher than the Suburban we had before this but with the front spoiler I can't slide under it, and the side steps even seem lower.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I use the ramps...you can get the heavy duty models at Wal Mart...check the weight carrying ability. My driveway is on a slant, so between the slant and the ramps, I get about an extra half quart of oil out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Easy alternative to ramps are a couple of short 6" or 8" timber blocks. Just use four wheel drive and ease up on the blocks — truck will crawl right up on them. Very stable (put emergency brake on, of course).
I do what he says.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i will go with the ramps. I feel uncomfortable with my truck resting on my chest while working on her. I hope I remember to put the emergency brake on. :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I dont use ramps but my driveway has a bit of an incline. What I do to get the most out of an oil change is warm the truck up a little so the oil comes out much quicker.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have used ramps for over 40 years. My oil takes 1 to 2K before it turns dark brown. IMHO that I get more of the dirty oil out that can contaminate the new oil. Later! Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.