Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the diesel world and was wondering when I do my first oil change, what oil should I go with? Should I replace it with the 15w-40 they put in from the factory, or should I change to 5w-30 from Amsoil? Also do I need to replace the external Transmission filter at that time? Also what is your opinion on the oil filtration system from Amsoil? And also do I need to use any fuel additives? Thanks for any assistance you guys/gals provide me with!!!

Joe

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey, Welcome.

First, you really didn't give a lot of info, like mileage etc. I am assuming you have the Dmax and Alley. First, DO NOT go with a 10w30 oil, it is not recommended. anywhere from a 5W40 which is rated for the Dmax diesel, THe letters on the rating, I believe without looking ar CH-4 and another. BUt be sure and look in the book. Again mileage depends on the Trans filter as well. Advice is to stay with OEM on the filter for sure. Some have had problems with aftermarket restricting flow and causing temp. problems.

Good luck,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I only have 1600 miles on the truck so I am not doing an oil change anytime soon, but I just want to be prepared, seeing as how this is my first diesel truck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Filters

You will find that everyone here has their own ideas about oil and filters. I changed from Delo 15-40 to Shell Rotella 5-40 Syn. at 3000 miles. Just choose a good quality oil filter such as Amsoil or whatever except FRAM which is crap. The tranny filter (external) should change at 7500. All Amsoil products are great in my book and if you plan to fork out the bucks for their oil I would invest in a good by-pass oil filter setup. The Shell is easily obtainable at wallyworld and unless you plan on doing the once a year oil change it is the best bang for the buck. I use Stanadyne performance formula in my fuel. There is some info here which shows test results and the product speaks for itself.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
One thing GM does not tell you that the Allison site does is that the Allison spin on filter should be changed at 5000. Get the filter from Allison, about $7 to $8...at least $35 at GM. Do what the owner's manual says...stick with 15W40, I use Shell Rotella. Don't put any additives in anything...not recommended by GM.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
:welcome2: Joe.

For starters you should read the maint. sticky at the top of this section. It's an excellent guideline. Fill out a profile too so everyone knows what you are driving. Do a bunch of reading in all of the DP sections that interest you and enjoy. You'll be amazed at how much you can learn in a short time.
Oh, and hang on to your wallet!:D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
:exactly: Right, all the above. Read and decide what fits you best. Remember, all the maintenance you do to your truck is to make it last longer and trouble free. A lot of vendors on this site also sell oem ACDelco and Allison filters and products for a good price...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
DuramaxJoe;1564724; said:
I am new to the diesel world and was wondering when I do my first oil change, what oil should I go with? Should I replace it with the 15w-40 they put in from the factory, or should I change to 5w-30 from Amsoil? Also do I need to replace the external Transmission filter at that time? Also what is your opinion on the oil filtration system from Amsoil? And also do I need to use any fuel additives? Thanks for any assistance you guys/gals provide me with!!!

Joe
Joe--I would change the oil now and stay with the recommended 15/40.I would also change the tranny filter and both your axles gear oil---you will probably see they are underfilled and the oil will be filthy with lots of metal dust on the magnets.Yes for fuel additives/I run Howes with every fill.I get all my filters from Fleetfilter,a vendor here selling Wix and Napa Gold,whose prices are the best. Welcome

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
wait for about 5k miles then what kind of oil is totally up to you. i run amsoil 5w-30HDD, mainly because its really cold out and i like the better starts in the morning. if you live in the south or a warmer climate i would run the 15-40. you can definatly run the 5-30 with no ill effects.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did my first change at 5000 and will follow the DIC going forward. Running Mobile Delvac 15/40. I believe the "wait to use" synthetic is a myth. Corvette's and several other high peformance vehicles come with Mobil 1 full synthetic from the factory. What about their break in period? I realize some manufactures specifically state to wait which further proves that nobody really knows for sure. unless you live in a very cold climate, I would just stick with the weight of oil and intervals that the manual calls for.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I switched to synthetic Rotella 5w-40 , next oil change will be 15w-40, it seems the 5w-40 is to thin cause the diesel chatters to much at times

1 - 11 of 11 Posts