Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you do your own oil changes, but I really don't have a place to do it so I need info from those that pay others to do it. I've been paying a little under $75 for an oil change with filter and a lube job. The place I have been going to for years has closed its doors so I looked for other places. I went to a local major named facility and the quote was $160. Have I been getting a bargain for years or is this a rip off? LB7 with 245000 miles.

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
I do my own oil changes but I'd say you have been getting a bargain. Its around $50 for 2.5 gallons of 15w-40 plus $10 for the filter alone nevermind the shop labor.
You might try calling a few local chevy dealers just to see what they want or look online if they have and specials running?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the reply. This is the last time I use this particular supplier. I'll probably have to find a place I can do my own, or, like you suggested, check with a dealer (sure hate to do that one).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update... Just got a call from the shop doing my oil change. Seem as though the computer, when a diesel engine is put in as engine type, automatically calls out 15 quarts of oil and requires a manual over-ride to correct the amount. The attendant didn't know that so didn't do the over-ride. Price has been reduced to a point still about $45 above what I had been paying, but after checking several shops, it seems to be within line of what everybody in the area is charging. Still seems high to me.

·
Registered
02 2500HD LB7
94 Posts
The only reason I mention dealer is some will offer cheap oil changes as a loss leader to get people to come in. Gives them a chance to try and upsell service like brakes, or a new vehicle while you are roaming the lot while you wait for them to do the service.
Now that the factory offers some kind of free service for a time after a new purchase, they have maintenance service techs they need to keep busy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2nd update... Today is Saturday, truck dropped off Thursday for oil change. Called Friday to see when it would be ready. Waiting for parts for another job that has the lift tied up. OK, things happen. Need the truck by noon on Saturday. Well, didn't happen. Picked the truck up without the oil change. Might have to look at a dealer after all. I wonder how much up-sell they will throw on a truck wit 246,000 miles?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts