Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil and fillter and then there was a ticking sound. it almost sounded like the ac compressor clicking on and off but not as loud. the sound seemed to be coming from the front or bottom of the engine. I took it for a good run up the road and it went away, anybody else have this happen?

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
normal sound for the duramax-

·
Registered
174 Posts
same noise here, will drive you crazy when sitting still. G.M. says perfectly normal, happens on other diesels also you just can't hear it. not all diesels as quiet as the dmax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read this common ticking noise, but I never heard it on my truck, then I did my first oil change, v-e-r-y ticky, it went away after I drove it, who knows? Someone knows but they're not telling.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
mine sounds a lot lounder than an AC compressor kicking in... just my opinion

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
right after you change your oil there is basically none in the engine. When you first start it up and before it pressurizes you will hear a noticeable ticking sound, but it should go away (watching your oil gauge) right as the pressure comes up again. When I do mine it lasts for about 4 seconds and its gone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
normal, don[t worry aboyut it
somebody posted a bulletin that stated the "typewritter" type ticking heard under/around the drivers wheel well is normal and NOT to have engine torn apart to track down....its a heat expansion sort of issue.

Normal normal normal!

(Ihave the noise too)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
my 04 did it for the 30k i owned it and this one has done it the 6k since new.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ticking

my 04 did it for the 30k i owned it and this one has done it the 6k since new.
Are you talking about the high pitched "whine" coming from the
engine while u are in the cab ? The pitch increases as the RPM
increases. If so it is the turbocharger. My started at about 500 miles
and a master mechanic said it was just now starting to loosen up and
it was normal. Most other diesels are so loud you cannot hear it except
for the Duramax.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ok i feel better now after reading this. i thought i had bad lifters or something

·
Registered
124 Posts
YEEBO454 That sounds like the same thing I took mine in for today. I was told that is normal and I only hope it is normal for the better part. They also said they have a bulletin out which they will attatch with my reciept. Only some trucks have the noise not all do. I only hear it when it is idling. Is that the same for you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
im glad i read this post, i was just about to take mine in for this. the ticking noise everybody is talking about is at idle and is really random (no rythm at all), right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It won't hurt when you take it in for service to have them check it just to have it on the books and ask them for a copy of the bulletin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hello there diesel people, im new to the fourm and was hopeing i could get some help.... i just purchased an 06 3500 CC/LB LBZ DRW, in my opinion its an awesome truck until yesterday. it only has 780 mi, ive never really gotten into it until the other day when my neighbor decided to blow smoke at me as he flew by me, i quickly caught up..:blahblah: whatever.... Yesterday i was standing in line at the ATM and i noticed my truck started ticking... never herd it before, new sounds, new truck and its driving me crazy! i dont know whats goin on??? did i just mess my brand new truck up??? i figured hey almost 800 mi.... lets nail it!!! :badidea:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yea on the ticking, weird though, didnt tick much on the OE oil fill, after oil change it ticks like crazy. Hot/cold always there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The typewriter phrase is correct and with no set pattern. My truck is a 06 with 35k, I am on my 6th oil change and never had this until my last oil change. I heard it could be different type of filters. First 5 changes was the same filter this is different. Thank I will go back to the other type and see if it stops.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Duramaxcop,

What type of filters have you been using, and what type of filter are you currently using.

Mine started right after I did my first oil change at 2400 miles.

I used Shell Rotella T and a Mobil 1 filter.

I'd really like to have a smooth sounding engine at idle again. I like the way the diesels sound when they idle. The goofy ticking doesn't help.

I probably wouldn't think too much about it, but my 5.3 liter half ton ticked like crazy at startup. It had the cold start knock. Now my diesel that is supposed to have a clatter/tick to it, has an abnormal tick to it.

Oh well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have changed the oil on my lbz one time so far the truck has 4k on it .the ticking did get worse after the oil change but now it only ticks when the engine is not fully warmed up ,as soon as it reaches operating temp the noise is gone .so it seems it will get better with time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My '06 LLY does this now too. I have 16K on it and it just started doing it after the oil change at 15K. I switched to AMSOil oil anf filters at 10K but nothing was different for the 15K oil change.

Funny thing is I don't hear a tick while it pressurizies but I do once everything is normal. I can only hear it idling and it never seems to go away.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts