Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on this?

Im using Amsoil 1540, and running a low level chip. I am keeping an eye on the oil life monitor (via the Predator which gives percentages)

How well does that thing work? Should I rely on it? I assume that it figures more than simple miles. I hope it counts temps, start/stop times, load and all that good stuff. Anyone know?

I am planning on changing it when it says 20%. That should be right around 6000 miles since the last change.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't trust my oil life monitor at all. I live close to my work, and my Dmax will not warm up at idle speed when temps are cold. So I have had to put many cold start/shutdown miles on it. This doesn't seem to have any effect on the oil life monitor, but I know it has a bad effect on the oil. I change the oil every spring and fall (Delvac 1) which is only about 5-6k miles but the OLM will not tell me to change it till nearly 10k. I run Juiced in the summer time, and try to drive my beater car when I don't need a truck, especially in winter. Now if I could only bring myself to write a check for an Espar heater...... --SS

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If your not creating a lot of smoke then your not creating excessive soot ...

Using Low level settings "only" shouldn't have to change maintance schedule ...

My oil is black right after changing ...

Mac

·
Registered
448 Posts
As long as you are using a good quality oil the oil monitor is fine. It does not compensate for dusty conditions, extra fuel etc. It does not actually test the oil in any fashion, rather it is an algorythm that computes what condition the oil should be, but there is no way it can know what condition the oil actually is in. In answer to your question I change mine at 5,000 largely because it's a nice even number that's easy to keep track of.

on edit, http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=77&relatedbookgroup=LubricationEdited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I was hoping to see cleaner oil with the CAT fuel filter, but I dont know. That may be negated by the chip.

When it was all stock, I was getting 1000 miles or so of very clean oil after a change.

Does anyone know what intervals the folks with hotter tunes are doing?

I should just bite the big one and get it analysed...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I usually change it every 5000 miles, if I am running low tunes. If I am smoking a lot, I will change it around 3000 miles. I am using dino oil also. Rotella Edited by: White Duramax

·
Registered
262 Posts
Every 3,000 miles/monthly -- oil is cheap.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I go to about 20% on the monitor. For me this is about 8000-10000 miles. I know this sounds much higher than most. But I only use synthetics, and ALL my driving is long trips on the highway so I don't have much time running cold, and no stop an go traffic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts