Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone with the 6.5 added a oil catch can inline between the tunna can and the intake back to the turbo? I would think that the blow-by being filtered before going back into the intake would make the turbo and the intake manifold much cleaner.

I have found many cheap oil catch can on ebay with 3/8" hose and want to see if anyone have any experience adding one to their truck. Positive and negative feedback with this type of set up would be appreciated.

·
Resident 2 Stroke Fanatic
228 Posts
If you go to the a team turbos website in the gallery it has one.

And, i belive that's on the white suburban that they have on their youtubes. This aint a bad idea, im gonna look into designing one... thanks for the idea

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,442 Posts
You will need to lubricate the turbo anyway.

If it is working properly, I have never any oil on the intake, either.

·
Resident 2 Stroke Fanatic
228 Posts
You will need to lubricate the turbo anyway.
I thought the turbos lubrication came from the oil line feeding the housing?

If it is working properly, I have never any oil on the intake, either.
Ive heard that on almost all 6.5's alittle gunk and oil residue gets by the tuna can and into the turbo, some more than others, this is due to Blow by correct? And if so, couldnt a catch can help a older engine keep its upper intake pelum and runners clean?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ive heard that on almost all 6.5's alittle gunk and oil residue gets by the tuna can and into the turbo, some more than others, this is due to Blow by correct? And if so, couldnt a catch can help a older engine keep its upper intake pelum and runners clean?
Bang! That's the whole idea of a oil catch can. If the intake air is free of oil, it will burn more efficiently. The only thing that I'm affright of the ebay oil catch cans which can hold up to 1000ml is the inlet and outlet hose is not big enough or free flowing where the oil may push back into where it came from.

There are oil catch can with a breather filter on top of the can and I'm not sure what is that for or would that breather will work with our 6.5 diesel. I also see a catch with a vacuum gauge and I'm wondering if that will tell if the can will move enough air through. Here's the link for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COATED-BILLET-ALUMINUM-OIL-CATCH-RESERVOIR-BREATHER-TANK-CAN-VACUUM-GAUGE-SILVER-/180956524984?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,442 Posts

Don't know. For a diesel engine, mine looks rather clean after I replaced the tuna can a few years back. I already have a spare just in case it starts blowing up again.

Somebody made a system for diesel engine. IIRC, it is called Provent or something like that.
Mostly used by the Dodge. Trouble is it cost some money, I had better spend the money somewhere else.
It is just a matter of economy, at least for me. You guys may have a little bit more to spend, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.