Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the engine oil this evening for the first time and realized the dealer left the Duaramax Engine supplement out of the glove box.

Would anybody be so kind as to tell me how many quarts this monster holds with a filter change?

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's supposed to be 10 quarts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yup!

My Amsoil comes in 2-1/2 gal jugs...Brought the oil right to the top mark on the dipstick.

Kevin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, newbie here, Did you have any problems getting the oil filter off? I've read some threads here that it can be a nightmare. Just wondering. Great site and thanks for all the info. but sometimes you guys scare me. if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
463 Posts
bajadave said:
Hi, newbie here, Did you have any problems getting the oil filter off? I've read some threads here that it can be a nightmare. Just wondering. Great site and thanks for all the info. but sometimes you guys scare me. if you know what i mean.

Yeah! I do know what you mean. When I first joined this forum several months ago, some of the info I read here scared the crap out of me!
I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but after a while, and with the help of the great folks here, I realized there are a few things I can tackle myself.

I had no problem at all with the oil filter. I do highly recommend getting the Fumoto oil drain valve though...It'll only take one oil change to see the value of that little trinket.
The fuel filter on the other hand, was a pain.
Mostly because I could not find a filter wrench to fit properly. I ended up cutting apart two wrenches and riviting the bands together to get the diameter I needed. I'll find the right size one before I try that again.

By the way, welcome aboard...This is, without a doubt, the finest diesel site on the web!

Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. 10 qts.

Yes, the OEM filter was screwed on tight.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Get that universal STRAP wrench at NAPA works like a charm, absolutely no problem off and then back on with it.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Last resort punch a big screwdriver through it and turn.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Kendall69 said:
Get that universal STRAP wrench at NAPA works like a charm, absolutely no problem off and then back on with it.

I used a strap wrench on mine and had no trouble getting it off either. It was on pretty tight though.

Is there a specific reason they are installed tighter than most other vehicles? I never had an oil filter on my gassers quite that snug. In fact, they were only 1/4 turn or so more than hand tightened.

Kevin

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a guess on the tight filters. It's highly unlikely that they take the time to oil the gasket. I did that once in my younger days and payed for it at the next change. Damned near impossible to get off!! Won't do that again.

Dave

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
These filters I swear are self tightnng ....

I have done as much as putting grease on the gasket ...

Mac

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am starting to see that the D-Max in the med.-dutys are diff. than in the 1 tons and less . My owners man. says my engine wants 14.5 qts. of oil also , they hide the fuel fiter behind the power sterring hoses and wire harness. But on the pluse side have lots of head room under the engine to put a 5 gallon pail to drain the oil, pluse my garage up the street will use the oil in his heater and pay a buck a gallon for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts