Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to diesel engine trucks but I'm not familiar with an oil bypass system. What is such a system, where can I learn more about it, and why would my truck benefit from such a system? My truck is used only for towing our 14,000lb 5th wheel camper and is not a daily driver. we'll log about 10,000 miles per year on her.

Thanks in advance.

Truck on!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not new to diesel engine trucks but I'm not familiar with an oil bypass system. What is such a system, where can I learn more about it, and why would my truck benefit from such a system? My truck is used only for towing our 14,000lb 5th wheel camper and is not a daily driver. we'll log about 10,000 miles per year on her.

Thanks in advance.

Truck on!!!
I'm not a "tech", but I can give you an amature answer. Regular oil filters could be designed to filter at a much finer level... but this would cause restriction in oil flow. Thus, regular filters can only filter to a certain level (at whatever level a decent oil flow can be maintained). A by-pass oil system will BY-PASS a small amount of the oil into a by-pass filter, which DOES filter the oil at a much finer level, BUT... because only a small percentage of the oil is passing through it (at any given point in time) it doesn't cause any significant restriction in oil flow. After about 10-15 minutes, every ounce of oil in your truck has passed through the by-pass oil filter, and has been filtered at a very fine level. This helps to keep everything running much smoother, and keeps your oil lasting much longer as well.

For more info, go to the AMSOIL website, and lookup by-pass filtering: http://www.amsoil.com

--Paul.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts