Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen guys post about having their oil analysis done. who does it for ya and exactly what can it tell ya. also how often do ya have it done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
An oil anaylisis will tell you many things. It will tell you what type's of wear metals copper, tin, lead, ETC..are present in your engine oil. It will also tell you if any antifreeze is present, silicon IE sand or dirt levels or any fuel level of contamination and the condition of your oil at the time of the sample ( the oil could have been 20% used up or 100% used up ). This test will also gives you a base line on your truck once taken allowing you to determine if something is going on inside internally.

This is MY quick low down of what an oil analysis does, but ask a professional such as (Screen name Georgecls if I remember correctly ) on this site. I believe he run's / owns the AV Lube site advertised on this site and probably on a banner on this page. From all what I have read he is an extremely knowledgeable professional type of person, and seems to be willing to help you in any way possible. I will be doing business with him in the future as a new Diesel owner myself. Just my .02 Fran

·
Registered
444 Posts
I get my oil analysis done from Blackstone Labs. They are one of the more popular labs around.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

I am using it to see how good the oil is after 7K to 10 K miles. I was always a 3K oil change person. The though of using the GM oil change monitor and possible 10K oil changes had me sceptical.

I had an analysys done with 7K on the oil and it showed plenty of oil life left. (Summer driving and Chevron Delo 15W-40)

I am getting ready to send one in with 8K. (Winter driving and Rotella Synthetic 5W-40)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Johnny0,

I would be interested in your results if you could post them. Running Shell synthetic now and going to Delvac-1 next change. Would be nice to see some numbers on the Shell product.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I recently had my oil analyzed (AV lube) and was wondering what value or # in the report tells you the % of oil life left? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts