Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does oil analysis regularly? Do you find it worth the cost? Is the information received important to how you maintain your truck?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
mossyoak;1585518; said:
Who does oil analysis regularly? Do you find it worth the cost? Is the information received important to how you maintain your truck?
I just started--got my first report back from Schaeffer.I think it's well worth the cost{$6},and might prove out to save an engine some day. Very cheap insurance and peace of mind.I'm doing it in my Dmax because I want to safely extend my drain intervals; this first time{5Kmiles},the lab tech. advised me to change now because the copper limit was on the fence, so in the interest of safety,that's what she advised.She blamed it on still having minute traces of break-in material floating around{11K miles}

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very much worth the cost.. monitoring the wear numbers and keeping tabs on the oil properties helps you determine three things: potential mechanical issues, when the oil is used up, and whether or not your oil is doing what you want it to do.. combustion temps do bad things to additive packages, and since any oil blend can be called synthetic nowadays, you just never know unless you are measuring and testing..

Using analysis, you aren't relying on an oil company's marketing hype, or the usual "i've run it for years and have had no problems" statements that don't tell you anything useful. Just because the truck hasn't exploded yet doesn't mean all is well.

I also recommend periodically analyzing your fuel.. It helps to see what you are really buying at the pump, and it's also a great way to see if someones miracle additive helps or degrades cetane, affects the distillation curve, or is nothing more than an anti - gel disguised as an all purpose cure all. (lots of those out there).

Some labs you can use are Staveley, Blackstone, and Titan.

Tom

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If you have a Cat dealership by you--they also have a lab---you don't need to be running Cat iron as anyone is welcome.They also have a real neat suction pump to draw a oil sample out of the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[email protected];1586242; said:
If you have a Cat dealership by you--they also have a lab---you don't need to be running Cat iron as anyone is welcome.They also have a real neat suction pump to draw a oil sample out of the dipstick tube.
That's cool. Do they do the analysis on the spot, or do you have to wait a few days to get it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mossyoak;1585518; said:
What are the oil analysis services most people use?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
mossyoak;1586388; said:
That's cool. Do they do the analysis on the spot, or do you have to wait a few days to get it?
They send it out to their own lab.Cat has probably the most sophisticated lab going to service mostly all the fluids from their iron.It takes about 5-7 days for the results as long as everything is OK.If they notice something dangerously wrong,they'll call you ASAP.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
do all cat dealers have the service? how much do they charge?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
TOTHEMAX!;1586973; said:
do all cat dealers have the service? how much do they charge?
Yes--Ithink it's $8 per sample bottle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Cat dealers sent it out to a lab. I use either Wear Check or Petroleum technologies. Depends on if I'm paying or the customers paying.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I found my injector failure before the crankcase was full of fuel because of the oil analysis. Best $12 (local CAT dealer) I have spent on the truck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How to get a clean sample

I was just checking through the post looking for some info on how to get a clean sample. It looks like the best way is to suck on a tube stuck down the dip tube. Any better solutions?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Glad to see im not as anal as everyone tells me. I ersonally sample the oil every 5000 miles. W/the price of oil the way it is if I can safely extend my drains a couple thousand miles, then its worth the 6 buck to me. Also, it lets me keep an eye on the engine wich is worth a lot more then the 6 bucks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm not doing this to extend ...

I'm not doing this to extend the life of the oil. I usually do oil changes at about 8000 km instead of the 10,000 but i would run it right to 10,000 if that was the way it worked out. I am doing the oil analysis just to set a base line for future tests. I am planning on having the oil tested ever second oil change.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
7997redtail;1655802; said:
I was just checking through the post looking for some info on how to get a clean sample. It looks like the best way is to suck on a tube stuck down the dip tube. Any better solutions?
I only analyze my drain oil. I always run the engine up to temperature before draining. I let the stream run for a minute, flush the bottle out a couple of times and then capture. "First flush" out of the pan is bad for high concentration of contaminants, up to temperature and mixed up is best.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've only done one oil change

I've only done one oil change does the oil come out slow enough to capture a couple of samples? That reminds me of something else i have to make. The skid plate is a little too long and the oil drains onto it. I was going to make a little piece to clip onto the skid plate and redirect the oil.

That's a good job for spring break.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
BigBadAllis;1588838; said:
Cat dealers sent it out to a lab. I use either Wear Check or Petroleum technologies. Depends on if I'm paying or the customers paying.
After looking at this maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where I 'click here' to order the kit. Maybe my expectations are off but I was thinking you would pay for the kit on the front end and they provide test results when you're done....or do you guys do everything local?

Wear Check

http://www.wearcheck.com/
NOTE: After a little looking around on their site I think I found the kit here that you would order however could you verify?

Petroleum Technologies

http://www.oil-lab.com/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts