Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used Slick 50 in all my other motors and love it. But my 2001 8.1L manual says not to use any. What do you all think of them and or what do you all use or not use in the gas motors? And how about oil, I'm using Penn 10/40 in the summer and Penn 5/30 in the winter. I live in Phx,Az.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With the quality of oils these days, I prefer not to use additives. I've been using Mobil 1 in everything I own for the past few years. Since my last one lasted 300K (89 GMC K2500 4x4, 5.7ltr) and is still going, I think I'll stick with that.

My two cents.

Mike

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I dont think slick 50 will hurt anything but using 10/40 in and engine designed for 5 weight oil might. cleances are tighter in the new engines, look in you owners manual to see what is recomended. the only additive I use is marvel mystery oil every 3rd or 4th oil change. keeps everthing nice and clean. its also a good injector cleaner if used in the fuel.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
SANDHEAD;1629517; said:
I have always used Slick 50 in all my other motors and love it. But my 2001 8.1L manual says not to use any. What do you all think of them and or what do you all use or not use in the gas motors? And how about oil, I'm using Penn 10/40 in the summer and Penn 5/30 in the winter. I live in Phx,Az.
Just curious - what is it about Slick 50 that makes you "love it"? - I have never used any oil additives in any of my gas or diesel vehicles. I've always use a good quality oil & changed the oil at prescribed intervals and have never had any oil related problems. (My used oil analysis results have always been excellent) I just can't see the advantage. :confused:

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I wouldnt run any additives. These oils are designed for specific things, making your own brew who knows what will happen. ONe website I saw had an interesting thing about lucas additive. It does make oil climb, so to say, but also gets real foamy which isnt good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canada;1629823; said:
Here is a VERY good oil site, you'll think differently.
www.bobistheoilguy.com
This is a very interesting sight. I wish they had done that with Slick 50. I've tried the Lucas and don't notice as big a diff as when i run slick 50. The motor just seems to run smoother and keeps cold start ups much quieter. I use it every oil change which on my street car and truck is every 2K miles or in our sand rail every single dune trip. And for running the 10/40,living in Phx where our summers stay around or above 110 for 3 mo's and at or above 100 deg 5 mos a yr I thought the 5/30 would get to thin and/or brake down - What do you all think about that?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I don't know how you quantify what that stuff does. I put in my 454 I had, but honestly, couldn't tell you if it helped or not. I run Mobil 1 10w30 in my 8.1 and ran it in the other 8.1 I had. It flows quicker at lower temps than convential oils, and has a higher boiling point. So, if I ever get into extremes with it, I should be covered. I change it every 6,000 miles. I think you can go 15,000 miles on it with a filter change in the middle. I wouldn't run it that long, but I don't have a problem with 6,000. It should easily protect it that long. I have seen some amazing mileages out of gas engines with Synthetic oils.
I took a Mechanical Engineering class in college, we called it Putt Putt 1. The professor said one thing that I remember in those hangover ridden days. Don't put a bunch of additives in an engine. All they need is good maintinance and good lubricants and they should do just fine. He said when you start mixing those additives, you are asking for more headaches than you already have, and you spend a lot of money doing it.
Like I said, I tried it on one of my trucks, and couldn't really tell if it made a difference. At $40/bottle, I sure wanted it to make a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$40.00 a bottle?? Wow,here in Phx its only $14-$19 a bottle. You have a point about the Mobil 1 oil,I have heard great things but with the price per bottle i just hadn't stepped up to it,especially with the 8.1L taking almost 7 qts. I had heard from a race motor builder when oils 1st started saying how "their" oil can last longer then others,that all oils brake down and what ever oil your running by 3k miles its time to change it. Not sure if the Mobil 1 oil was included in that statement though. And for the weight of the oils, do you think 5/30 in the Phx summers will still provide or will it get to thin in the extreme temps when running hard? I run 10/40 Penn. in my 8.1L only in the summer mos but good point on todays clearances. THX! > Also, to Duromax04, I see you removed the screen from your air flow. Is that the screen you see right there when you pull your air box lid? Did you do that at a time when no other mod were done? My point,did you notice a diff just from removing that screen?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
SANDHEAD;1629517; said:
I would save the money you spend on Slick 50 and use it for a good synthetic. I don't think Slick 50 is really helping anything and I doubt anyone could prove it. My opinion of course.
JP

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sandhead,
I took it out when I opened up the air box. The piece from the fender to the box is a removable part and snaps out of the bottom part of the air box.
I have removed that screen in 4 trucks that I have had in the past 8 years. I have had two 8.1's and I think it helped a little more on the 2001 that I had. That is the same air box they use on all the trucks 1/2 ton and HD, so I figured that the 8.1 needed all air it could get. The screen takes up space in the air inlet. I have never had an issue from removing it.

I think it helps, but I have never dynoed it to actually verify it. It makes it a little louder when you lay into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.