Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed many saying that oil pressure is a little low as the temps warm up...(mine too). I was in Advance autoparts today and they had a lucas oil additive demo where gears turn in a bath of regular oil and oil with the Lucas Additive. The Lucas oil additive side carried the oil all the way up to the top gears...anyway it reminded me of a chat with a big rig trucker that said he used Lucas oil to get his oil pressure up during extended ideling.

My question- Anything wrong with using Lucas oil additive with dino oil cause I'd like to see 40 psi at idle. Another thing is 2003 the oil guage went from 80 PSI up to 120 PSI Max. Could this have changed the accuracy?

Smokeymax

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have noticed the 03-04s run a little less pressure when warm. I think GM decided they did not need 80 PSI hot like the 01 & 02 had. I don't think there is any thing to be gained by using a additive in a healthy engine. Later! Frank

·
Registered
132 Posts
Smokeymax--I've used LUCAS HEAVY DUTY OIL STABILIZER in class 8 diesels for years. One is a 350 hp Cummins and the other is a 500 hp Cummins. These engines have a 44 qt oil capacity and a oil change cycle of about 15000 miles. They are 855 cid and simply dwarf a DMAX in both size and torque. The 350 has 1,300,000 miles on it and still runs strong! I do not use Lucas in my DMAX. IMHO it's simply not needed in light duty trucks. One exception would be a engine that sits for LONG periods of time without running. Lucas will "coat" internal parts and not "drain" off.-----just my 2 cents worth-----Phil

·
Registered
939 Posts
hehehehe
Bill beat me to it. I would not use Lucas in anything after seeing that test!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Today's oils do not require any form of additization. Moreover, using engine oil additives is much like having a cake mix that calls for two eggs. If we change it to add 10 eggs, we no longer have a cake mix. Engine oil formulations are very much the same.
Oils, naturally, do not hold additives in suspension well; it is a fine balancing act. When we add additional additization more often than not, that fine balance is disrupted. Especially in higher quality oils as they are very much 'maxed out' in terms of additive treat levels.
From a lube engineer's perspective (and GM warranty), absolutely, positively, no, not any, no way, nada engine oil additives..
Just because additive manufacturers "advertise on TV" and "sponsor race cars", that does not mean they are of value.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jbplock,

After reading your link, I won't be putting anything in my crankcase but oil!!!

Thanks to all..I just got a little impressed with the gear demo.

Smokeymax

·
Registered
59 Posts
The standard rule is 10 to 20 psi for every 1000 rpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just wondering what effect engine heat may have on the Lucas and the amount of air it traps. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm kindof a fan of Lucas after running it in a 454 with 380,000+ miles on it. I realize that is a completely different engine than the diesels and isnt quite brand new anymore :) anyway i was just wondering if engine heat should be taken into effect with testing the lucas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts