Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, im taking my 2500 Suburban offroad this weekend at Carnegie (easy stuff) and i was wondering what i should do to prepare. like running roard off, or something like that, and if so, how to do it.

Also, i probably will have to get my friends QX56 unstuck :p: and was wondering if the tow hooks in front can handle it, or if i have to get a hitch mounted hook. ALSO his truck weighs 5540#. if i pull him out, am i in risk of breaking some of the driveline?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
What kind of off-roading are you doing, mud or trails?

Either way, lower you tire air pressure to it's recomended minimum for better traction. Most off road tires will be in the 15-25 psi range, but be sure to check what your's can be at. Don't forget to air them back up as soon as you get back on pavement.

Tow hooks will be fine for most pulls, but try to use the receiver hitch if possible, it's much stonger. While you are at it, make sure you have a good tow strap or chain and clevises to attach them.

Other items;
good flashlight, first-aid kit, hand tools, jack, shovel, water, food, tire plug kit, air tank or pump.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is where im going

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BIEH_DRz2Fc

A shovel, ok, iono about that low, i have gooodyear wranglers.

flashlight, will i need at 12 noon? XD but ok.
first aid, ok.
jack, got one already in the truck.
tools, of course.
theres a grill there.
something like fix a flat for tire plug?
they have a pump there.

this is a state vehicular recreation area, not likea backcountry thing, so we wont be far from help. so some of these things might not apply.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... but if the worst happens, theres someone within a 2 minute walk

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Well, if that's all you are doing, then all you need is a truck and beer......truck optional.:rolleyes:

Air down to 25-30psi for better traction. Hit the mud pit with speed and let the momentum take you through. Those 'hills' can be done so much easier if you take them at an angle and it will reduce the chance of bottoming out. All else is trial and error.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea but after u get to the guy then u have to go get what u need and theres goes part of your day and if you would of had it ,it would be quicker and less time wasted.just my opion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts