Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one told me the other day that these newer trucks, 04, 05, can detect red dye in the off-road fuel and shut the truck down, or create problems. Any truth behind any of this?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
they would have to put an optical sensor in the fuel system to detect the red dye.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Where do people come up with this stuff? :cookoo: :eyecrazy: :eek2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even GM says it won't hurt anything. However, if you get caught, the tax man can hurt you badly... Some states do run roadside checks on small trucks as well as big ones. The violation is considered tax evasion and the fine can be major.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
around here they check randomly and pretty infrequently, but i've heard as much as 10g's if you get caught. fccxmtr how are you using offroad diesel in your truck, or is it not legal?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I recently looked into this. Here in Montana, they cannot randomly check pickup trucks. They need probable cause to look. That, by definition, requires signed affidavits from at least two individuals, or a law enforcement officer has to see you put it in. First fine is $100. Break even at 5 fillups or less.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With the price of diesel going up, many people will run off road fuel if they can. If tax revenues go down, then law enforcement checks (where legal) of pickups will increase. That happened during the gas crisis of the 70's.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
st pinetree!

Your research led you to the same information I was led to by my own research! Interesting, huh? There's a lot of bad info and flat-out scare tactics out there. Oh well, knowledge is power in my book...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts