Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i have 2 transfer tanks in the back of my truck. each other 100 gallons.one on road and one offroad. the new guy at the shop filled my onroad tank with offroad which was empty. he swaped tanks and when i went to drop the fuel into my truck and pulled the handle out of my truck it spilled red. any difference in the fuel besides died red?

·
Registered
57 Posts
well there's about a ten thousand dollar difference if you get caught running off road fuel in your truck. the fuel is the same one is dyed red

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Fuel is the same except for the dye. You will get all kinds of responses on this topic, fines very by state, enforcement is variable also. I have never been dipped, I have had a dot officer look into our semi tank, but it has farm plates. Lots of people are running red, and not broadcasting it. Transfer tank in the back will be 2.5 strikes against you, odd are way higher you are going to get dipped.

For me the offroad fuel is always better quality fuel, based on our supplier. Not worth the chance because the savings is not that much.

Post will probably get moved, and there is tons if info already here.

later

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was drained out as it had some oil mixed in it. didnt want to do any damaga to the truck. the mechanic drained it and switched tanks.

it was not ran on the road so no chance that i will get dipped as it was drained asap

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
takes about 5 fill ups to get rid of it-

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Don't worry about it. Mine smiles with red teeth. :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
there is another post on this and you will get tired of reading..............

·
Registered
224 Posts
What happens if you get dipped and have veggee oil or veggee oil/mix in your tank ?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What happens if you get dipped and have veggee oil or veggee oil/mix in your tank ?
Nothing currently, only looking for dye. I'm sure the "man" is trying to figure out how to police home brewers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i got the 2 tanks but i havent been dipped yet. what if i have a farm plate on my truck persay.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
well i got the 2 tanks but i havent been dipped yet. what if i have a farm plate on my truck persay.
IMHO farm plates make you more of a target.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A buddy of mine said DOT used a long swab and stuck it down the filler neck of his truck and wiped the inside of the filler neck. Office said if red was ever in that tank the residue from the dye would remain and he would get fined if residue was found. Don't know the truth about the residue, never checked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Red dyed fuel

My fuel supplier has told us there is a difference between offroad and onroad fuel besides the red dye. He told me that the offroad is what the old onroad was (low sulfer) and the onroad is the new ultra low sulfer.And according to him the offroad is better for the motors cause of more lubricity, but since its illegal he said use a good quality fuel additive.We use texas refinerys diesel pep,seems to make them run smoother and get around 1 to 2 mpg's better on our pickups.

·
Registered
552 Posts
in ca. it is all ulsd.

·
Registered
891 Posts
it's all ULSD in washington also, that it was my fuel suplier told me. I think you can still get good ol' #2 in eastern washington though. Somebody chime in if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm under the impression you can get dyed fuel in LSD or ULSD. It makes sense if you think about it because dedicated farm trucks 2007 and newer will need dyed ULSD. I still run onroad LSD in my truck-- it can still be found in my area. I'm avoiding the switch to ULSD like the plague... I really don't want to spend the extra $$ in additives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Off Road/On Road Fuel

It all depends on the refiner. Some refineries only make ULSD and then it doesn't matter whether it is marked or unmarked. In this situation you would not wreck your engine or particulate filters if you had a new engine that only can use ULSD. On the other hand some refineries are still putting out high sulphur diesel for off road use in older farm equipment and road building equipment and any diesel engine from days gone by that are made to run on this type of fuel. If you put this fuel in 2007 and 2008 vehicles you are asking for trouble. I am a fuel hauler and I haul from a number of refineries and have heard of a few horrow stories. Warranty is void if you have the wrong type of fuel in your tank. BEWARE If you get fuel from service stations and cardlocks it is all ULSD. The only time you have to worry is when you get it from a bulk agent and then it could be low sulphur, High sulphur or Ultr Low Sulphur depending on the refinery he gets it from.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It really depends on where you live. I know a ton of guys around here that run nothing but Off-Road and have nver been checked!

I hate ULSD. Ive been running that ULSD/B20 Soybean Diesel and have noticed a very significant drop in fuel mileage. Ran a tank of Red Dye through her the other week and got about 90 more miles to a tank than I usually do. Thats about 4 mpg!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts