Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
I have read a few on here run it on their farms, most feel it is the same fuel with dye added. If so, the only thing it will hurt is your bank account if you get caught. The fines are no joke!

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have ran it when the road fuel tank was empty. Don't think it's the same but just not sure. Truck sure does smoke a lot more with farm fuel. Usually run road fuel though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
turbodiesel03 -

Now you an't no revenuer are ya! -Jed Clampet

Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have ran it for 6 years in a powerstroke 150,000+ miles no problem.

My Duramax filter is plugging up at 7,000 to 10,000 miles, I have heard that that is not uncommon for these filters. I am wondering if the dye in the off-road fuel isn't part of my problem. I do not travel without a spare filer and wrench.

My tank is bulk filtered and I change that filter every other load of fuel. None of my other diesle powered equipment has a filter plugging problem either so I am thinking that the Duramax filters are just finer.

But the truck will run fine on off-road. I know of others that have run Cummins & Powerstrokes on it also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work for a transportation company in South Carolina. The IRS delegates most of the field enforcement to the states and their commercial truck enforcement divisions. These agencies test for off road (high sulfur) a couple different ways. 1) Visual inspection for the color of red fuel (sometimes black when mixed with lowsulphur green fuel). 2) Actually pulling a sample with a siphon pump and a roadside lab setup.

So in my experience with my fuel distributors, there IS a difference in the sulphur content between on road low sulphur (green) and off road high sulphur (red). Most people I know comment on the odor of the exhaust fumes when burning high sulphur fuel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I switched to red fuel in our off road tank we started changing fuel filters at 1/2 the hours. Seemed the off road fuel was always full of algea so when we switched back to road fuel the filter plugging also stopped.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
"Always full of algae..." I wonder if sulphur level has anything to do with algae growth? Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
490 Posts
Algae growth has to do with the amount of water in the fuel. Sounds like the tank it came from has not been maintained. One of our fuel distributers that has a gas station at their tank farm has 3 tanks marked "High Sulphur Off Road Diesel". I have a 150 gallon bulk diesel tank for my tractors. It has a 20 micron water seperator filter on it. I have not tried it in my truck. Don't think I ever will, unless it is an emergency. "If it were't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use off road in my ford diesel tractor which is supplied by a local fuel dealer. I have tried to use the highway diesel in the tractor and noticed it smokes less and had slightly less power when working it hard. The ford tractor dealer told me not to use the highway diesel as it "lacked the proper lubricity for the older style engine fuel pump and injectors" and the seals are "not designed for the low sulphur fuel". I have a 150 gallon tank with 10 micron filters. As with PICK I do not plan on trying it in my Duramax, I think it would be a bad choice.

Engineer Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts