Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Duramax. the problem is my current truck should be registered and smog this month. I really hate to spend around $250 then a month later turn the truck into the dealer.

Question is what will the dealer who is accepting the trade do if the truck is out of registration?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mike330R said:
<!--StartFragment -->
I just ordered a Duramax. the problem is my current truck should be registered and smog this month. I really hate to spend around $250 then a month later turn the truck into the dealer.

Question is what will the dealer who is accepting the trade do if the truck is out of registration?
I don't think they'll have a problem with that. Most states require them to be re-inspected regardless. I don't think they care about the registration either. If they do.... tell them you're not happy and you may order elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
If the dealer catches it (and they almost always do) they will charge you for it (deduct from trade value). I traded one in a long time ago and they missed the reg being expired. They called me a week later and told me to bring them a check.

hahahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
398 Posts
problemchild said:
If the dealer catches it (and they almost always do) they will charge you for it (deduct from trade value). I traded one in a long time ago and they missed the reg being expired. They called me a week later and told me to bring them a check.

hahahahahahahahahaha

So inquiring minds want to know, Did You?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mike330R said:
....................... Question is what will the dealer who is accepting the trade do if the truck is out of registration?

Can get complicated ~ driving it down to the dealer unregistered would require a short term/trip fee permit to do so. Can't recall what reasons are acceptable to CA DMV. There is a penalty if one doesn't (happened to me) ~ The dealer is allowed to market vehicles w/o changing title until it is sold which is understandable. CA vehicle code lays smogging responsibility onto the seller (you ~ as you'll sign off on the title ~ but not a big issue to the dealer as he could swallow it). Registration could be delayed/deferred to the next owner 'except' every test drive would require a DMV trip fee permit ~ catch 22. Would be nice if someone w/dealer experience would step forward on this'un. Failing that ~ may need to bite the bullet and ask for 250 more on the trade in turn.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mike, No way would I spend the $250 just to hand it over. I'd wait until the new truck came in, (assuming the risk of getting caught) do the deal and walk away from it.

If the dealer whines, tell him that it's his responsibility - unless it's in the original contract.

The only problem would be if you get pulled over by the law - then it could get interesting.

I'd take the chance - but that's just me.

Chris in NC

EDIT: Are you sure you have to get a smog certification? I don't think diesels qualify (at least in NC they don't).Edited by: NCMax

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Wow that is some odd (well to me) DMV laws ....

So the registration stays with the sold vehicle ??

In Ct the Reg is the individuals ,unless leased ... We transfer to new vehicle purchased old or new ... We hap temp registration but is reserved for motor vehicles requiring inspection ,out of state purchase and older then 20 years old I believe ...

Automobile sellers here have dealer plates that transfered from vehicle to vehicle for test drive and such ....

What happens if yoiu have vanity plates ??

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mackin said:

Automobile sellers here have dealer plates that transfered from vehicle to vehicle for test drive and such ..........

Mac

There's a thot ~ possibly borrowing the dealer plates to drive it down to the lot? Betcha one could borrow a plate w/o them looking ~ as long as you returned it
Sounds good to me.

Yes here in CA emission testing (gassers only) is required (at time of re registration) at least everyother yr or sooner depending where one lives and everytime the title changes hands. Law is it is the sellers responsibility ~ supposedly directed at dealerships but lots of us are caught in private party transfer/sales. Generally, in private party transfers, the buyer will agree to do it in exchange for consideration on the deal. Headache comes if he can't get it to pass, then the re registration won't happen. Diesels are exempt here so far.

Current registration is required to be able to operate on the public roadway. Its to an individual and a tag is displayed on the rear plate. Title is to the legal owner and stays w/the vehicle.

Pre Arnie 14letter, Mike would be looking a approx $500 registration. I was looking at approx $900 on my 02.

Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
124 Posts
From my own personally experience...if you go to trade in a vehicle that does not have current CA registration the dealer can either A) charge you for the registration OR B) refuse to take the trade. I looked into this pretty heavily about a year ago, either scenario is perfectly legal here in the "great" state of California...but hey Arnold will fix everything!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
bubz ~ noticed you're running H2 wheels ~ I'm up the road near auburn. Were you able to find them locally?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts