Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys ever take your trucks off road , whether it be trailriding or just playing in the mud????. I realize most may not simply cause of the cost of these trucks. Also mud an dirt in the front mount intercooler probaly would not be the best scenario!!
I have always heard that diesels were not good for this cause of the low rev motor design.. Is this true??

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Mine is offroad a lot.

Between deer hunting, farming and excavating business sometimes don't have any choice but to play in the mud.

This has been the wettest year ever around this part of OH.

I've gotten tired of getting the tandem axle dump stuck everywhere I go.

Side note, While shelling corn my father-in-law got his stock D/A stuck in some corn fields way back in the boonies, while deer hunting I drove back in the same places and only needed 4X4 a couple of times the 285 BFG made a lot of improvement over stock.

Now that muzzle loader season starts tomorrow we'll see how the Buckshot mudders work, we just got a couple of inches of rain.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't "play" in the mud or off road, but between farming, hunting, and side jobs, I get off road frequently. I haven't gotten it stuck yet, but I'm not saying it won't get stuck. I am still on the original a/t's and will be until they need replacing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<DIV>Dmax Tim</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>send a few inches up to southern alberta, take it in the form of rain or snow, christmas time is all of sharing
</DIV>

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have gone 4 wheeling a few times. I was surprised at how well the truck did in the muck I was in. I got stuck 1 time while 4 wheeling and that was because I slid off of a deep rut and bottomed out on the frame. I was still on stock tires and had not raised the front end any at that point either.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
fred what do u mean inches, we could send feet of rain this year and still not have a drought

·
Registered
245 Posts
I took my 02 (and will be taking my 04 off road) many times in Arizona. It really needed the 285's and a few truns of the front bars to keep her from hitting the rocks. Outside of not being able to turn it around in my normal spots it does ok. I just go really slow.

I burned out my 02 firestone (P.O.S. IMO) in two trips down in Southern AZ. Just took too many chunks of rubber off the tread. My BFG's have held up 4 times longer and don't even look a bit used.

cmc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heck, the first day I got mine, I loaded it up for an elk hunt the following day. I use my truck for everything.

I do have a '46 Willys Jeep I used for extreme rock crawling, but I don't always drive it. I don't take it hunting, and it won't pull my camp trailer. So...my Duramax has got its fair share of off-road situations. I'm even impressed with the low gearing. It's not as low as my Jeep (93.3:1 ratio), but I'm still impressed.

Here in Idaho, as well as places like Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana, Off-roading is almost a way of life!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ran mine on the sand dunes (Silver Lake ORV area) near Lake Michigan last summer. It was impressive. My 2001 extended cab Z-71 was a lot of fun to use up there. I was worried that the crew cab would high center more easily on the crown of the dunes, but we didn't have any problems. The torque of the D/A combination is great. It more than made up for the shorter ground clearance of the HD frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts