Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Did you find a need for 4L in the 2500/3500's?
Other than proving that it could be engaged, I don't think I've ever 'needed' 4L in the last 25 years (I've had both 1500's and 2500's).
During that period I've used 4wd enough that I feel I need to continue to buy it.

I also never use the 4wd 'autotrac' mode.

The single speed box is a new thing with this generation.

To answer your question, I don't think I've heard and durability issues -- but of course it hasn't been many years. I think we've seen more issues with the wear thru in the mid '00 HD's (which isn't a problem in newer HD's)

Higher trim (AT4/Denali) 1500's the 2 speed is standard.
One of the elevation versions (the 3VL, which has limited options) can only be equipped with the single speed.
Other trims come the 2 speed is optional.

If looking a chev
Custom trail boss, LT trailboss and HC have 2 speed standard.
Custom and LT (2FL version) only available with single speed.
Other trims (including LT 1LT version) 2 speed is optional (with Z71, or 6.2 on the LTZ)

On the HD's there is now an autotrac version available.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Fwiw, the duratrac model ( LT265/65R18 113/110 O) offered by on the 1500 (RPO code R3O) are NOT tested/rated as 3PMSF tires - and they are 6 ply, not 10.

Afaik, most (or all) other Duratracs are 3PMSF and are 10 ply.

They look like they are probably a good offroad M+S tire, and probably a great deep snow tire, but they are not likely as good for wet ice/slush/slippery pack on the road. (at least not after the tiny grooves are worn away)
The small grooves are only about 25% of the depth of the large blocks.

R3O Tires, LT275/65R18C blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac MT

Automotive tire Grey Font Engineering Automotive wheel system

1 - 2 of 2 Posts