Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting to place an order for the new 2022 1500 3.0 when they allow the dealer to do so but I have noticed that there are 2 options for the transfer case; the 2 speed 4H and 4L, X31 option and the standard one that does not have 4 L. I have always owned the 2500 or 3500 series that came with the 2 speed transfer case but have never owned or driven the 1500 with the single speed version.
Have there been any durability issues or concerns with the single speed? The 3.0 has lots of torque down low and with the 10 speed is there a need for the 2 speed version for occasional off road use?
Off topic but GM authority says that the 3.0 is back in production!;)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Did you find a need for 4L in the 2500/3500's?
Other than proving that it could be engaged, I don't think I've ever 'needed' 4L in the last 25 years (I've had both 1500's and 2500's).
During that period I've used 4wd enough that I feel I need to continue to buy it.

I also never use the 4wd 'autotrac' mode.

The single speed box is a new thing with this generation.

To answer your question, I don't think I've heard and durability issues -- but of course it hasn't been many years. I think we've seen more issues with the wear thru in the mid '00 HD's (which isn't a problem in newer HD's)

Higher trim (AT4/Denali) 1500's the 2 speed is standard.
One of the elevation versions (the 3VL, which has limited options) can only be equipped with the single speed.
Other trims come the 2 speed is optional.

If looking a chev
Custom trail boss, LT trailboss and HC have 2 speed standard.
Custom and LT (2FL version) only available with single speed.
Other trims (including LT 1LT version) 2 speed is optional (with Z71, or 6.2 on the LTZ)

On the HD's there is now an autotrac version available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes I have used 4L on my dually diesel and the present truck SRW AT, usually when we go out West hunting or sledding. When you get into deep snow and you are chained up (on 4 or 6 tires) 4L reduces the slip stick action which is really hard on axles. Bumper deep snow on an unplowed road with several layers of snow and hills requires patience and torque and that is easier on the equipment in 4L. I am retired and getting less adventurous so I will try and skip those trips with the new 4x4 pickup. I will upgrade to the AT tires which are a compromise but find no need for the AT4 package (more expensive) and it has the heavier Duratrac tires. I will use my current 2 place sled deck but only with one sled to stay legal weight wise. :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Fwiw, the duratrac model ( LT265/65R18 113/110 O) offered by on the 1500 (RPO code R3O) are NOT tested/rated as 3PMSF tires - and they are 6 ply, not 10.

Afaik, most (or all) other Duratracs are 3PMSF and are 10 ply.

They look like they are probably a good offroad M+S tire, and probably a great deep snow tire, but they are not likely as good for wet ice/slush/slippery pack on the road. (at least not after the tiny grooves are worn away)
The small grooves are only about 25% of the depth of the large blocks.

R3O Tires, LT275/65R18C blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac MT

Automotive tire Grey Font Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fwiw, the duratrac model ( LT265/65R18 113/110 O) offered by on the 1500 (RPO code R3O) are NOT tested/rated as 3PMSF tires - and they are 6 ply, not 10.

Afaik, most (or all) other Duratracs are 3PMSF and are 10 ply.

They look like they are probably a good offroad M+S tire, and probably a great deep snow tire, but they are not likely as good for wet ice/slush/slippery pack on the road. (at least not after the tiny grooves are worn away)
The small grooves are only about 25% of the depth of the large blocks.

R3O Tires, LT275/65R18C blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac MT

View attachment 646883
Good info on the Duratrac, they are a good off road tire for mud and deeper snow because they clean well but not so much for ice or slush as mentioned both from the large blocks on the outside, lack of sipes and rated as all season tire so no snow flake (the rubber gets harder when cold and less flexible). My son had them on his 1500. I was unable to confirm the weight difference between the Duratrac and the All Terrain in the same size.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts