Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks...

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the type of terrain I could expect to deal with owning a Sierra Dually 4x4 with Eaton G80 dif lock..IE. could you cover undulating ground and creek beds etc...I do realise that there are varying degrees of these but I thought some folks might be able to describe their offroad experience.

Another point would be, just how easy is it to hang the dually mid section on the undulations, for example, on the transfer case.

Oh, I should add that this is a dually extended cab, not a Crew Cab that would tend to hang earlier due to the longer length.

Thanks,
fosss

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It's not the transfer case you have to worry about. My truck will drag the frame rails and the bracket under the transmission in small whoops and the rear pumpkin will hit rocks that seem like they are barely sticking out of the ground. I would imagine with a dually you may have a LITTLE more clearance with 265 tires instead of 245. But these trucks really do have undercarriage clearance as a problem. And BTW if you think you are going to get stuck don't do it because it sucks to dig out 7000 lbs. worth of truck!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i take mine out a little and it is not very good. i dont have a dually but i think we are about the same hight. i bottem out all of the time on the trans cross member and the rear diff. you can make it but you will probably bottem out. just take it slow.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Dooleys have 215's, itty bitty critters

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Duallys aren't meant for off roading.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try this:

Buy built rock crawler (or build yourself)
Tow with dually
HAve Fun.

Sorry about that, just kidding. I haven't wheeled my 2500 yet, but I used to wheel a long bed Dodge before getting my jeep. Your concern about breakover clearance is correct. I would also worry about the pie cutter tires that come stock on these trucks, not much traction. I still suggest getting a Jeep and towing it if you want to wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
buy an offroad rig.. like they said eailer sucks digging a truck like that out.. mine has 255's mud terrians on it and still can't do much due to the over weight and lenth.. plus having a beater you wount worry bout scraches from things like bushes or rocks..

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Mine almost NEVER drags bottom.):h I wouldn't take a stock HD too far off the road.LOTS of clearence issues.:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi again....thank's for the answers...

Perhaps I should have explained in more detail...
I forgot that though you guys are great, you are not mind readers...lol
My situation is that I will 95 % towing an offroad caravan that I will be living in and 5% general knockabout stuff...
I belong to an offroad caravan site for Bushtracker caravans in Australia , and lots of folks use F250's to tow their caravan and they rave about them....you can only get 7.3's Powerfade over there, and now they have stopped importing them...I did not want to get one in the 1st place, let alone a 2nd hander.
The F250 owners rave about their unit as a tow vehicle, and I was thinking that where the F250 went the dually 3500 could go as well or am I mistaken...I hope not...I have driven both and the difference in driving the 2 is like chalk and cheese with the Sierra Dually 3500 driving like a limo...it was a RHDrive 2005LLY...the conversion is perfect with the end product being a perfect mirror image of a LHDrive.
Has any one got some thoughts on how the dually will handle all of this allowing for the fact that the dually is wider, it's still not a wide as the Bushtracker which has a lot of ground clearance.
do the members think that it will do as good a job as the F250...I HOPE SO!.

Here is are a few pictures of the van and F250

To Get the dually in Australia, it has to be imported and converted at onsiderable expense, however, I wish to get a Van that pulls the Bushtracker and load legally...The top Landcriusers and Nissan, cant legally pull these weights if they are any where near fully loaded

I was hoping that the 3500 would do the same work.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

fosss

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is another pic this time with an imported RAM Dually.
what I would want to do is to use the Sierra 3500 Dually for a similar purpose as the rest of our members.

fosss
...and here is the van he pulls, though most of the members vans range between 18 - 22 ft... Any vans over 20' should really be towed by an American Diesel, both for power, stability, and legallity.
So basically the van can go just about anywhere the tow vehicle and the van is waterproof up to 20 inches.
fosss

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
That's cool, I want to go.

·
Registered
618 Posts
that is cool, i like that- when can we visit :)

On the other hand, if you are already gonna haev to pay abunch for a conversion, why not add a small lift. Or go with a 2500hd. just a thought

1 - 13 of 13 Posts