Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to get my hands on an OEM filter head for dissecting. No problem to disassemble. I did not remove the check valves because they are pressed in the housing. If this was an after market head there would be a rebuild kit available. All the fuel the engine consumes goes through the primer pump and check valves. You can see the photos at: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rm11234/album?.dir=/2fd4

Later! Frank

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Doesn't work for me Frank;

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=314>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width=312>The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.</TD>
<TD width=10 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" width="10" ="block"></TD>
<TD class=yphbrdr width=1 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" width="1" ="block"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width=1 height=10><SPACER height="10" width="1" ="block"></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=314>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD class=yphbrdr width=1><SPACER height="1" width="1" ="block"></TD>
<TD width=10><SPACER height="1" width="10" ="block"></TD>
<TD>Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys! Try it again. Later! Frank

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have 100% no clue what those pictures are of, but the link worked for me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your welcome Roegs. I am retired and always looking for things to do. This was my after noon project. Installed a secondary filter kit for a friend this morning. Later! Frank

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks Frank,

I'd never seen the inside of the filter head before.

Good Job!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dittos... Great pics Frank.
They will go into the archive as I'm sure they will come in handy someday..

·
Registered
626 Posts
If the fuel heater is in the top of the filter mount and most of the filters seem to run half empty then do we realy get any benefit from them at all. This would seem to be another reason to add a lift pump.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks Frank for taking the time and money to do this. It's interesting to see what's inside.

Chris

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Blue Max said:
If the fuel heater is in the top of the filter mount and most of the filters seem to run half empty then do we realy get any benefit from them at all. This would seem to be another reason to add a lift pump.

I would tend to think you're on to something.. only beacuse i know a few peopole in cold climates that have had their OEM filter gel up, while their pre-filter remained ok.. i thought that was very strange but it would make sense if the fuel wasn't getting any heat!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the filter back to the shop in pieces today. After the Techs saw how it worked they gave it back to me. There is no core charge. What a rip off by my beloved auto maker. This is one very expensive/overpriced filter.

Alan, I will try to measure the passage sizes but I am not sure I can. I don't want to screw up the valves. I can tell you the passages and area under the valves are a lot smaller than the ID of the hose and fittings in the rest of the system.

As far as needing a lift pump: If you add a lot to the net positive suction head a lift pump will fix it. If all you add is one low pressure drop filter like mine it is not needed. I just went out and took the fuel heater out again for another look. The heater is right under the inlet valve to the filter. Looks like this heater runs anytime the inlet fuel temp reaches a pre-determined point. Later! Frank Edited by: Frank Blum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts