Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just had my fuel filter changed on my truck which I bought used last month with 37K miles. I cut the filter open and it looks like hell. It doesn't have any name at all on it just the part number 897256-7340. Is this the original filter? Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Probably so.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow, I had 45,000 miles on mine before I changed it the first time and it didn't look nearly as bad as that, but it was bad. I would also guess that was the original.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Argghhhh.......

Thats 1 nasty filter. Wonder how long those injectors will last? It speaks volumes about de vs emulsifying doesnt it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
That one looks pretty nasty .... had one taken off of my truck after 12,000 miles that wasn't that bad but was well on the way ... true, it shouldn't have been on there long enough (37,000 ?) to get in that shape but it reinforces my belief in the value of post OEM aftermarket filtration

Jim

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh my!
I think I'm going with Primrose now...Edited by: Kartattack

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would find the original owner and give him an ass wooping! Then make him promise to change the fuel filters on his diesel vehicles every 10k. My firend drives a F**d and has 87k and has never changed his or used an additive. I am going to do it for him next weekend and I will post the picks. Should be interesting.

You might want to consider having the entire fuel system cleaned and disinfected.
Edited by: Cruz_Man

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. The good news is the truck seems to be running fine. I am getting an GMPP warranty this week in the event something happens down the road. Is there any way to verify that the injectors are performing properly? I'm also planning on putting a secondary filter shortly, probably a CAT filter since I work with CAT engines and the parts are readily available for me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The bottom line is Diesel fuel is dirty...and Jet-A is even worse(think about it next time your out flying around on a jet), the parts that are in the working engine needs to be able to handle that dirty fuel. This is really bothering me hearing about the injestors not being able to handle the fuel and/or additives and fuel system filters need to do there job(filter). There is a reason I love the diesel engine option, because they are tough! Everything in the engine needs to built tough.

Just for the record...I do change my fuel filter every 12,000m, I am not one of these guys who over looks the importance of filtration(air, fuel, and trans)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Is there any way to verify that the injectors are performing properly?

An indication of injector health is to examine the "fuel injector balance rates". There may be other indicators also. You may want to go to the "Ask Dmaxallitech" portion of the forum and ask the question there. There are several topics with respect to fuel injector balance rates already posted in that forum.

·
Registered
298 Posts
............I just had a RACOR R445 (R90S) fuel filter (pre OEM) installed yesterday under the hood just above the power steering pump. Hopefully it will stem the tide of dirty fuel out there. Man that's one sh*tty looking filter but I beleive it's not the original. My original was more of a grey color on the outside and the one the dealership replaced it with at 30,000klms (18,000 miles) was as white as the one in your picture. The mounting bracket (see picture posted below) that is black was custom made and it is attached at the left via 2 tapped holes next to the A/C compressor. Also if you look under the bracket you'll see a brace attached to stop vibration and add further support. The filter, in turn, is attached to this black bracket. I breathed a sigh of relief to know I didn't have to mount it on the frame under the truck. This location makes it way more accessible to service and drain the water from the seperator Here are a few shots of the installation.................................Steve...

Edited by: shuffman

·
Registered
169 Posts
are drawings available for the bracket? I am looking to either put a cat or racor on my '02. I know it's late but better than never right?
thanx for the great Idea!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That's a nice bracket, makes my aluminum look cheesy.

AkDually, the standard Cat head will fit under the hood in that position(I moved mine last monday). Although you'd make your life a little easier by going with the flatter head styles of the Permacool filter or the Racor head. In any case, anything you add will help your filtration issues.

·
Registered
298 Posts
AkDually61 said:
are drawings available for the bracket? I am looking to either put a cat or racor on my '02. I know it's late but better than never right?
thanx for the great Idea!

AKdually61:

I don't have formal drawings for you but I just went out and took some measurements. My bracket is made from a flat piece of steel 11"long x 6"wide x1/16" thick. At the end that attaches to my engine it is 6" wide and it tapers to 4" at the end that my RACOR is attached to. The taper portion begins at the bend (see first picture below) The plate is bent 5.5" from the end to a 90' angle with the tapered end up. (see first picture below) Now to keep the bracket stiff there is a triangle brace welded in the middle to keep the bracket rigid (see first picture below). Attached to the bottom of the bracket is a brace that is bolted to another hole that is already tapped into the engine and welded to the filter bracket (see third picture below) . If you look at the bottom of the picture you'll see the brace that is bolted to my engine to keep filter from vibrating (see third picture below). The holes drilled are the size of the bolts that fit not only the filter housing but also for the tapped holes on the Duramax. Gotta give the designers credit they sure put a lot places for accessories on this engine.
NOTE: the red battery boost box and wire were moved over to accomodate filter bracket. In the fourth picture you can see the brace that holds this wiring & box out of the way (see fourth picture below). The brace is bolted to the filter bracket as shown in the last picture. AK. I hope this all makes sense and helps you out............Steve...

Edited by: shuffman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts